Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T17:43:52+00:00

    I'm throwing in a "me too" post.

    I have a i5/8G/256G SP4, before 2/17 update - whenever the screen went dark coming back from sleep, I only had to do "Win-P" to come back. After 2/17 update - machine ALWAYS hangs after some time of sleeping.

    • CTL-SHIFT-WIN-B DOES NOT WORK
    • CTL-ALT-DEL DOES NOT WORK
    • clicking on the pencil "eraser" DOES NOT WORK
    • repeated push of the power button DOES NOT WORK
    • detaching the keyboard and reattching DOES NOT WORK
    • no issues with the 2/17 firmware install as I don't have the yellow triangles.
    • disabling going into Hibernate after a sleeping period DOES NOT WORK
    • powering down by holding the power button for 10 seconds and rebooting with the power button DOES WORK, but I lost anything I've done before I rebooted
    • forcing power button and lid close to hibernate only DOES WORK, but if the computer goes to sleep by itself with the timer, I'm forced to reboot.
    • 2/17 install ruined my SP4 experience - my SP4 is practically unusable now
    • computer hanging the display after sleep is RELIABLY AND CONSISTENTLY BROKEN

    I think the only thing I can say about the 2/17 release is - W-T-F

    The problem is most certainly software, not hardware as it was working relatively fine before the 2/17 update.

    • Peter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T20:46:54+00:00

    I tried some things on my machine that I hope will help fix the problem:

    from an elevated command prompt, I ran: powercfg /energy which yielded 8 errors, including the error that \filesystem\srvnet was trying to prevent my machine from sleeping. On the advice of a Microsoft forum post, I ran sfc /scannow which told me my opencl.dll was corrupted and sfc could not fix it. I then repaired my copy of Windows 10 using the command line tool dism and the instructions here. From there, I ran chkdsk, restarted, reran sfc /scannow which was able to fix the corruption, and reran powercfg /energy which now yields 7 errors, all related to usb devices not entering the selective suspend state. I just did all of this, so I'm not sure whether it will fix all of my wake from sleep issues, but thought I'd pass it along.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T23:23:35+00:00

    You should just use hibernate if you don't want to return the device... it works and doesn't drain the battery and takes 2-3 extra seconds to wake.

    Other thing you can do is set max CPU power to 99% this way you will not use Intel Turbo boost, thus CPU will be locked to max 2.2GHz instead of bursting to 3.4GHz.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T02:22:20+00:00

    I tried the Win-Ctrl-Shift-B thing today, for the first time.  It woke it up out of sleep perfectly.

    So I guess this is some sort of solution for me - except when the keyboard is not nearby.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments