Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T06:14:17+00:00

    I was not aware of the keystroke combination, so I tried it a couple of times.  It was working fine, then the computer "fell asleep" with the keyboard in the folded back position.  I actually have the setting set to hibernate to avoid the black screen of death issues.  This time I had to do the 20-second hold and second press to get my silly machine to work again.

    I have installed updates, changed my settings, checked the device drivers, and am still having problems.  I've already had the Surface Pro 4 replaced once.  When I went to Geek Squad to ask about the sleep/wake problems, they said they hadn't heard of the SP4 having any issues.  Very disappointing.

    Please, Microsoft, please keep working on a fix for this issue.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T06:27:31+00:00

    Good luck in trying to debug this, if many here cannot nor MS itself.

    :)

    I suspect the complexity is utterly overwhelming for MS to understand.

    For some reason, my Surface Pro 4 is now waking either set to Sleep or Hibernate over the past week, the recent update a few days ago making no difference—wonderfully. Although this might be good news, my mice often do not work on wake, nor would bluetooth work, it's missing from Settings, either its button in the Action center is missing or does not turn on and running a search for 'bluetooth' reveals nothing—anywhere (that's understandable, it is completely missing, not listing).

    Running troubleshooting does nothing - it cannot find anything (until a restart, when everything works again). If it automatically sends off a log to report this, then it does not get that far.

    I have this listed in another thread.

    So unfortunately although the sleep problem is fixed for me (at least at the moment) I still have to restart, so there is no actual difference in outcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T06:41:46+00:00

    I installed the firmware update but it has made no difference.  My Surface still won't wake up from sleep mode, and the only way to turn it on is to do a forced restart - Hold Power button for 30 secs, volume up, Power button again.

    Is there any other workaround we can use until Microsoft come up with a fix?

    regards,

    JeffAus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-03-04T11:15:21+00:00

    SP4 has it's own topic. There are several threads there abut sleep issues. Not sure which one you have but start at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/surface-pro-4-screen-wont-wake-from-sleep/aed66dc7-289a-4300-a167-ab8394b7df06

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments