Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T02:25:59+00:00

    My Surface Pro 4 was working without issue, no power problems, would sleep without hanging.  It is set to auto update for windows updates.  Unfortunately, mine is one that sine the Feb 17th updates, it now experiences the hang once it goes to sleep.  The only recovery option that works so far is to hold the power button for the recommended 10seconds.  Sounds like there is no way to roll back firmware.  I have verified the install was successful for the drivers and there are no errors in the drivers view.  Is there any acknowledgement from MS that there are new problems created by this update?  Any recommendation on what to do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T02:26:09+00:00

    I'll have to try to see!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T04:07:38+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    This same issue is occurring frequently with my brand new surface pro 4.  help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T05:36:26+00:00

    I think it's gotta be some kind of race condition. Every time there's a major Windows update or a firmware upgrade, my surface stops being able to wake from sleep. I then spend weeks trying to reinstall drivers and tweak settings and finally it worksish again until the next update. I have to think something is preventing the computer from actually going to sleep, and causing it to freeze in this condition, draining the battery and preventing it from waking. Does anyone know of any debugging tools we could use to try to debug this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments