Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T14:01:22+00:00

    Not clear if this March 1st update include any fix for our issue, the only mentioned bootup improvement is here:

    Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.

    Full detail liste here:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

    I'm gonna try it as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T14:19:33+00:00

    Post 2/17 updates (no issues in device manager and  all version numbers correct), I'm now experiencing the blank screen on wakeup while plugged in and an extended sleep period, aka overnite. The 3-finger salute brings it back 95% of the time but had to do a forced shutdown a couple of times.

    When on battery no wake problems thus far, strange indeed.......

    workaround is set to hibernate instead of sleep while plugged in

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T15:04:13+00:00

    FYI for all, the 3/1 windows updates did not fix the problem for me.

    Join in: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T17:23:50+00:00

    I had the problem and could not use sleep at all.  I used the Hibernate option to get around the problem.  That worked well enough that I will consider using it permanently.  I really don't mind the extra few seconds to come out of hibernate.

    But I tried the sleep again today after the 3/1 update.  I has worked every time for me so far.  tried short sleep times and long ones.  No heat.  No problem coming out of sleep mode.

    Very strange that the update fixed this for me but not for others. I really had the problem.  could not come out of sleep at all.  now it is working fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments