Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T08:42:35+00:00

    I wonder what devices the MS software engineers use. Do they have any of these problems? Is this a rare problem had by only a few hundred/thousands of us? Perhaps it is ... rare.

    Is there an error log we can send someone (someone important?) Will anyone know what it means though?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T13:16:57+00:00

    I just received my Surface Pro 4 and am having the same problem.  I checked for an update this morning and it didn't find one.

    I also have a major problem with phantom touches.  This may actually cause me to return it.  These are driving me crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T13:58:54+00:00

    I just received my Surface Pro 4 and am having the same problem.  I checked for an update this morning and it didn't find one.

    I also have a major problem with phantom touches.  This may actually cause me to return it.  These are driving me crazy.

    Interesting to hear this regarding a brand new one out-of-the-box. So the question does become, what percentage of folks with this device are not seeing the problem?

    We can do a lot better on social media: #SurfacePro4 #nowake. We only have a few tweets and there must be hundreds of us users. Hopefully we can draw more attention to this and get some major blogs and news providers to pick this up. Please join in unless there are better ideas? >1000 posts here and it remains marked as "Fixed". The Feb 17 update hit the press as finally "fixing" the problem as well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T14:24:20+00:00

    Thanks for the video. This little trick used to work for me (sometimes) before the Feb 17 update, when the SP failed to wake from sleep (only) once or twice per week.

    Actually, during the week following Feb 17 the SP4 behaved correctly, no issues with sleep. But on Thursday Feb 25 its like someone flipped a switch, and now it fails to wake from sleep about 75% of the time.

    I'm meeting with 5-7 clients during the week and this situation has been unproductive to say the least. It also fuels many uncomfortable conversations about Microsoft's reliability issues, and the choice I made for supporting them!

    This is really unfortunate, the SP3 was rock solid - it just worked, and it changed the perception about Microsoft, bringing back innovation AND stability. I realize that these issues are also related to Intel, but this high end device has Microsoft written all over it, so they need to own that, and fix the Surface Pro 4 (and the Surface Book) once and for all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments