Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T17:16:29+00:00

    not sure how to reply.. so Ill reply to my own thread..

    anyways I was able to start the ./remote.exe debugger

    still a novice to this(Linux I would of ssh then cat > /filelocation) to extract info.);

    with ./remote.exe will see if I can grab some info but for now here is a snapshot from tasklist

    as I was able to get the black screen of death(pressing power button brought the lockscreen in of which is hiding behind the blackness)

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=b677f748-5fb8-43dd-a7bc-a7d238d96a87)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T20:59:17+00:00

    Hi All,

    We released an update on 2/17/2016 that addresses this issue.

    We recommend that you install this update to keep your Surface performing its best. You can get updates now by checking Settings> Update & security> Windows Update.

    To confirm the updates are installed, check Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View your update history.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    My surface pro 4 installs updates automatically. I have checked all updates are installed, and the system is up to date. Still, the same problem with the screen not waking up from sleep persists, and is very annoying. I am thinking of using the warranty to send this machine back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T23:02:49+00:00

    I'm thinking we need to light up social media. From Panos' blog:

    "And feedback from our customers is really important to the team and to me personally. I read the blogs, I read the comments, I read social media, I read the forums…and so does the team."

    Retweet: this and/or tweet yourself with hashtags #SurfacePro4 #nowake.

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=c1eb21e7-8a88-4796-836d-65509757acc9)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T23:37:38+00:00

    Added to your hashtag! Brilliant move. 

    "Buyers remorse! Major issues with Surface Pro 4 @Microsoft @surface #nowake #SurfacePro4"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments