Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T13:02:04+00:00

    I agree, same thing with me, no exclamations everything installed and re installed multiple times but the issues continue.

    josh - I would recommend you escalate this for a permanent fix, these juvenile troubleshooting methods are not working and most people have tried everything you are saying before you saying it, example checking updates and reinstalling stuff. You are questioning my intelligence at this point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T13:38:25+00:00

    I have the same issue.  SP4 was working quite well before the Feb 17 update.  After the update, I get a black screen almost every time I tried to wake the device from sleep.  This is almost unusable as I travel most of the time and go in and out of meetings and need my SP4 to wake without doing a hard reset.  Please fix ASAP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T14:06:03+00:00

    Here is my test on the same scenario:

    All updates installed successfully, restarted several times. latest being Feb 17th.

    Device manager shows no exclamation point anywhere.

    Closing the lid is set to put's the SP4 into sleep.

    I removed windows hello

    Removed password request when coming back from sleep

    Set to disconnected standby (wifi off while in sleep)

    Every actions did while unplugged

    When I close the lid, goes into sleep, opening back and touching the keyboard wakes up the SP every time.

    Now switched to connected standby, check both check boxes in the power configuration setting.

    Closing the lid, opening it back does not wake up the SP4, have to hard reset it by holding the power button for 30 sec.

    Thanks

    UPDATE: The reboot had the new settings kind of saved, and now connected standby is working. will continue the tests by enabling one feature after the other... password and windows hello.

    UPDATE 2: with those same settings, still not put back hello or password, if I let the SP4 sleep more than 15 min and less than 2 hours, opening the lid does not wake up the SP4 and I have to do the hard reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T14:29:38+00:00

    Tested again overnight. I turned off "password required to wake", disconnected my type cover, set wifi to off when sleeping, set to never hibernate, turned off "Fast Start" and changed all my power setting to sleep. Put it to sleep with 100% battery at around 10:30pm and tried to turn it on this morning around 7:30am but nope, black screen of death. Did a hard reset to turn it back on and my battery is down to 54% so it's draining at about 5% per hour. I'm giving up at this point till I hear something from Microsoft (fat chance) and setting everything back to hibernate. Good luck to everyone. 

    Did the same here !!

    Put it into sleep at 60% left battery.

    This morning I had the battery icon on screen, completely depleted, so at least I did not had to hard reset it I guess. but had to have recharged.

    What is frustrating is that Microsoft claims that the issue is fixed when it is not, and they haven't done any new acknowledgement of the issue since Feb Update.

    Good luck everyone indeed...

    Run a sleepstudy and find out what is draining your battery in sleep. I had exactly the same issue and found it was a 3rd party Samsung NVME driver that I installed on advice of a tech review to improve the performance of the SSD. I uninstalled it and my SP4 is now working perfectly. I suspect many people installed this driver and if you did I am certain it is the root cause of your problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments