Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T04:20:10+00:00

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=445852bf-1d7e-4604-a36b-41fbb58b6844)

    UEFI is installed and I still have the wake problem. I set it to hibernate with the type cover attached, closing lid. I notice some of you have success with hibernation, not me so far. I will change it back to sleep as it was statistically better at waking.

    Unfortunately I have a non-appearing mouse cursor when it wakes also, and all I have found is a restart will bring the mice back (this is outlined in a different thread), so trying back to sleep (if it goes to hibernate after a while that is ok, it was doing that anyway).

    I am getting tired of all the problems I am having unfortunately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T05:18:33+00:00

    Hi Josh & Microsoft Surface team,

    Here's a video showing the Surface Pro 4 Sleep Issue after 2/17/2016 update. 

    VIDEO: Surface Pro 4 Sleep issue:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lg0fI9Wkxo

    This also shows the workaround of closing/opening the lid a second time to make it work.

    Hopefully this helps you troubleshoot!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T05:47:57+00:00

    Nice video.. was able to recreate this issue with the info from this video.. power plugged in didn't fire off.. plugging in USB mouse did.

    My log files point to MTConfig

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=57e65fdf-1e27-4670-ab01-7f342ed5162d)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T11:38:16+00:00

    Thanks Josh

    It's *really* good to get some useful input from the team!

    Unfortunately I also have no warnings in device Manager and still have a range of sleep problems. My Firewmare.Surface UEFI driver date is 29/01/2016 and ver 104.1085.768.0 after installing latest updates.

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments