Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T20:30:56+00:00

    I just got my Surface Pro 4 a couple days ago on February 24.  Worked great on the 24th.  Installed all updates with no problems.  On the 25th (yesterday) I went to use it, and it wouldn't come on.  I Googled and found this (and many other things) about the failure to wake from sleep.  I was able to get it going by doing the power button for 30 seconds, releasing it, then pressing it again.  Next time it went to sleep I couldn't wake it again.  The February 17 update did NOT fix the issue.  My "fix" that seems to be working so far is that I changed the settings for it to hibernate instead of sleep.  It takes it a few more seconds to get going from hibernate, but so far I haven't had it fail to wake up since changing it to hibernate instead of sleep.

    Other than that oddity I haven't had any problems with it so far.  I like it a lot, and I've been a "Mac" for many years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T19:18:16+00:00

    Hey Microsoft, How about a prize for the 1000th post on this mega thread!?

    if anything it will be the one millionth, and the prize ... an individualised update to fix it, just for them.

    :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T19:12:47+00:00

    Dear Josh,

    Even with the newest update, and using the manual update too, my surface pro 4 is still having issues when waking up from closing the typecover. There is no santeria capable to make it wake up.

    What else could be done to make this vanish for good?

    Thanks,

    Mateus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T18:59:44+00:00

    Same issue here. Updates done and restarted many times. The 2/17 firmware update DOES NOT fix this problem. I tried disabling "WiFi stays connected while asleep" for both external power and battery power; so far so good after 4 or 5 sleep cycles. I'm crossing my fingers that this fixes the issue.

    Moderators, merging so many threads that you have over 1000 replies is a VERY bad idea. Nobody is going to read all of these replies. You should have just closed most threads and put a link to this one. It sure appears that you're mainly trying to make it look like there aren't many people having problems with this "very problematic" device.

    EDITED TO ADD:  No go, it still fails to wake up sometimes. I am so sorry I believed Microsoft when they said they were going to fix this thing. In should have returned it while I still could.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments