Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:02:01+00:00

    Hi Everyone

    We have noticed that in certain instances the 1/27/2016 update did not install completely and is now is causing the 2/17/2016 update to fail for some customers. To check that the 2/17/2016 update is completely installed and fix it if needed, follow these steps:

    Check for Installation Success

    1.  Enter the words Device Manager into the search box on the taskbar, then select Device Manager from the list of results.

    2.  Expand the Firmware section.

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=445852bf-1d7e-4604-a36b-41fbb58b6844)

    3.  If the items listed here do not have exclamation marks, the 2/17/2016 update is properly installed.

    4.  If the items listed here do have exclamation marks, manually reinstall the 2/17/2016 update following the steps below.

    Manually Install the 2/17 Update

    1.  Download the MSI package for Surface Book or Surface Pro 4.

    2.  In Device Manager, double-click the item under Firmware that has an exclamation mark, select the Driver tab, and then select Uninstall. Do this for all items under Firmware that have an exclamation mark.

    3.  Open and run the MSI setup package that you downloaded.

    4.  Restart your Surface (do not shutdown).

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T22:56:26+00:00

    Yeah here's how the lawsuit would go: a bunch of SP4 customers sign up and become part of a class action suit.  A year or 2 later the suit is settled.  The lawyers get $10 Million.  All the people who bought SP4s would be offered a voucher for $50 off a new SP5 or whatever the relevant model is.  Wow, thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T21:41:12+00:00

    Screw this, after update to the most recent firmware (2/17/2016), it DID NOT solve the issue. In fact, the issue becomes even MORE frequent!! before the update, it was roughly happened 1 in 5 times when i try to wake up my surface pro 4 from sleep. Now it is nearly 1 in 2 time!! HEY MICROSOFT, stop trying to fix because you will never fix the issue, and i believe lawsuit will come hunting you guys VERY SOON!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments