Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:42:12+00:00

    I just bought my SP4 last Sunday and was having the troubles with sleep mode.  I completed the 2/17/16 earlier this week and just switch back to Sleep from hibernate this morning and so far so good today.  I just followed the steps you outlined and I do not have any exclamation marks so it appears the 2/17/16 update installed properly.  I hope this really does fix the problem as I really want to like this device.

    Thanks Josh!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:42:05+00:00

    I have the sleep issue and no exclamation marks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:35:41+00:00

    Josh, thanks for writing.  I would like to see if this helps ANYONE??  I have no exclamation marks on the firmware.  I don't use sleep beyond 120 minutes,  and thus with Hibernate it wakes, albeit imperfectly as it just did, requiring a restart.  But it is clear to me when Sleep is not working: IT IS VERY WARM during sleep, and cools when it shifts to hibernate.  This needs a fix!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:28:56+00:00

    Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I have no exclamation marks, but I still do have the wake from sleep problem.  It happened infrequently before the latest 17.Feb updates, now it fails 75% of the time.  I have stopped using sleep now, it is just too annoying - sometimes working, but more often not.  I will use hibernate until another round of firmware updates comes out, and remember not to buy beta products in the future.  I thought that I was safe with and version 4 of the Surface Pro, but I should have stayed with my Surface Pro 2 an waited for these issues to be resolved.  I just had too much faith in Microsoft I fear, but I will think twice next time ...

    But, to be positive, it is nice to get some response from Microsoft :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments