Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T02:18:08+00:00

    Hi Everyone

    We have noticed that in certain instances the 1/27/2016 update did not install completely and is now is causing the 2/17/2016 update to fail for some customers. To check that the 2/17/2016 update is completely installed and fix it if needed, follow these steps:

    Check for Installation Success

    1.  Enter the words Device Manager into the search box on the taskbar, then select Device Manager from the list of results.

    2.  Expand the Firmware section.

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=445852bf-1d7e-4604-a36b-41fbb58b6844)

    3.  If the items listed here do not have exclamation marks, the 2/17/2016 update is properly installed.

    4.  If the items listed here do have exclamation marks, manually reinstall the 2/17/2016 update following the steps below.

    Manually Install the 2/17 Update

    1.  Download the MSI package for Surface Book or Surface Pro 4.

    2.  In Device Manager, double-click the item under Firmware that has an exclamation mark, select the Driver tab, and then select Uninstall. Do this for all items under Firmware that have an exclamation mark.

    3.  Open and run the MSI setup package that you downloaded.

    4.  Restart your Surface (do not shutdown).

    Thanks,

    Josh

    I have no exclamation marks and I have the sleep issue. I had to hard reset to wake SP4 to type this. It had been sleeping for 10 minutes or so.

    Josh, this needs a serious looking at. There's obviously a much bigger problem here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T02:01:36+00:00

    I didn't have any exclamation marks in the device manager, but I went ahead and uninstalled the firmware devices and then uninstalled and reinstalled the msi file. It didn't help at all, the same problem of not turning on after sleep persists.

    For anyone else dealing with this, the best temporary fix seems to be just disabling connected standby in the registry, so that the device just hibernates immediately. It slows things down a little but is much better than having to force restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:48:01+00:00

    Thanks for responding, Josh, but that is definitely not the problem for many of us.  The SP4 I'm running now was swapped out at the Microsoft Store here in Austin on 2/17, so it's about as clean as possible, and definitely never had the 1/27/2016 firmware update applied.  I'd attach a screenshot, but the dreadful new OneNote won't let me save an image.

    My system shows no exclamation points, yet woke successfully the first time this morning, then failed to wake a little over an hour later in the SP3 dock - a forced firmware shutdown and reboot was (again) required.  I am running no better than about a 50% chance of successfully waking from sleep after the 2/17/2016 firmware update, even if I always put the SP4 to sleep with the power button rather than closing the keyboard cover.  (It's even worse otherwise.)

    For those of us suffering from this problem, it is literally true that our odds are considerably better at Russian Roulette than in waking our nice, new Surface devices from sleep.

    Dead solid reliable sleep/wake (and not baking the device when it's asleep in a bag) is basic blocking and tackling for a mobile device - we expect this to work as it should - and we should not have to wait months again for another "fix" that is so poorly conceived and tested that it actually makes the problem worse for a great many users.

    Kudos for the post, though - please keep us informed.  We're all very frustrated and need to know that Microsoft is working on this and understands just how disruptive this flaw is to getting real work done.

    Let us know if there is any info we can collect and provide that will help reach a resolution more quickly - I''m sure most of us are quite willing to do whatever we can.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T23:43:39+00:00

    I'm glad that someone at Microsoft is looking.

    I'm very very disappointed at my Surface 4 purchase at this point. My life is nothing but meetings, and having to hard restart this device 3 or 4 times a meeting has been killing me. To add insult to injury, as a Microsoft CAMSA customer, we standardize on O365, and now my OneDrive Sync and Office Sync has been corrupted causing office apps to fail!

    I know that Microsoft has a monthly update release schedule now, but please send us an update ASAP! If this doesn't get resolved shortly, I'm going to do everything in my power to return the device (I've been holding onto hope for 3 months).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments