Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-28T04:03:23+00:00

    I agree with all of the sentiments expressed here - and the lack of communication is almost the most galling aspect of it all.

    That said, the Surface Pro 4 is a superb piece of technology and I wouldn't contemplate returning it.  What I have done is just not use sleep at all, avoid it like the plague it is, and use hibernate instead.  This seems to be 100% reliable and only takes about 10 seconds to reinstate everything.

    In fact I would suggest that until they can find a 100% reliable fix for the sleep / wake issue, Microsoft should disable sleep altogether and just use hibernate in its place.  Most people would be happy with this, and much happier than facing all those black screens.  If I remember rightly, the Surface Pro 4 comes with sleep enabled to various buttons and the lid by default and this immediately puts new purchasers (and possibly people who just expect it to work) in the mire.  If sleep = hibernate this could be avoided.

    I know its not clever - but it might be expedient in the circumstances.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-28T02:54:38+00:00

    Good, but it's NOT a fix at all - it's a non-intuitive workaround for one of several related problems that Microsoft and Intel should never have allowed to afflict customers in the first place.

    I hope the Surface team can get to ONE solid, properly parameterized, state machine running in firmware to implement SP4/SB power management.  This problem has all the hallmarks of various components of a system fighting with itself - and losing most of the time.

    How bad is Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book power management? This bad:  Put a revolver loaded with one shell on the table beside a Surface Pro 4 and give us a choice: Spin the cylinder, then put the pistol to your head and pull the trigger once, OR try to wake the SP4 - If it wakes, you walk, if it fails, you get shot anyway.  ****

    **Faced with this situation, every single person with the sense God gave geese will choose the odds of Russian Roulette over the odds of our new Surface devices functioning as intended and promised.**In my experience, your chances of living are about three times better with Russian Roulette.

    This is neither the mark of a quality product, nor the mark of a company that cares about its customers.  I am very, very disappointed in Microsoft's wholly inadequate response to this problem. The Surface line showed that Microsoft had turned a corner and developed a new sense of innovation, quality, and a commitment to delivering customer value.  Unfortunately, this debacle (and more importantly, the way Microsoft has refused to own the problems and communicate with customers) has destroyed that idea.  We were suckered in by promises of a best-in-class device that is instead truly worst-in-class in some very important real-world respects.

    If Microsoft made drugs that were poisoned on store shelves by a lunatic, it seems the Microsoft execs would sit back and see if any of the dead people get better in a month or two before deciding to take anything off the shelves, or even warning people of the problem. 

    I'm sorry this is harsh, but Microsoft's responses to this problem ARE that irresponsible.  People are losing money, business, jobs, and LARGE parts of their lives to trying to deal with huge, inexcusable problems that Microsoft still has not even acknowledged. 

    Note that the official line is still that the 2/17/2016 update fixed all power management problems, and if you are having problems, it's obviously because that update didn't install properly for you - this is complete B.S.!  The update made things worse for many!  I have lost almost an entire month of the past year dealing with fundamental brokenness in either Surface devices themselves, or "Surface Support's" inability to make them work as advertised.

    Grow some cojones and get out in front of this - the sooner, the better...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-28T01:47:41+00:00

    Hello,

    Thanks.  This fix works for me every time, opening/closing the lid  a second time.

    VERY GOOD.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T23:37:38+00:00

    Added to your hashtag! Brilliant move. 

    "Buyers remorse! Major issues with Surface Pro 4 @Microsoft @surface #nowake #SurfacePro4"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments