Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T02:12:32+00:00

    Push and hold the power button for 20 seconds then let it go and put it again it will turn on

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T01:58:51+00:00

    This update DOES NOT WORK. I have had a Microsoft Team member confirm that I had the latest updates completely installed and still I am experiencing this problem. Between this, the tapering issue on the Surface Pro 4, and other issues, I'm getting really tired of Microsoft's fake "fix'd it" claims. 

    Please ACTUALLY fix these problems and others in a more timely fashion!! This is getting ridiculous!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T01:42:36+00:00

    you probably have to shutdown the machine then press power and volume + to enter BIOS, there you can disable secure boot so you can install. becareful though.. make sure you have recoveries ready.

    over here I'm probably just going to wait for the updates I don't have the energy to go deep into the subsystem.

    as for the system and wakeup. ive notice disabling fastboot does make things more stable. you just need to shutdown the machine then start after disabling or it wont activate(memory needs to be fully clear)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T01:16:56+00:00

    Hi All,

    We released an update on 2/17/2016 that addresses this issue.

    We recommend that you install this update to keep your Surface performing its best. You can get updates now by checking Settings> Update & security> Windows Update.

    To confirm the updates are installed, check Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View your update history.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Still not waking from sleep after firmware update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments