Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T13:58:54+00:00

    I just received my Surface Pro 4 and am having the same problem.  I checked for an update this morning and it didn't find one.

    I also have a major problem with phantom touches.  This may actually cause me to return it.  These are driving me crazy.

    Interesting to hear this regarding a brand new one out-of-the-box. So the question does become, what percentage of folks with this device are not seeing the problem?

    We can do a lot better on social media: #SurfacePro4 #nowake. We only have a few tweets and there must be hundreds of us users. Hopefully we can draw more attention to this and get some major blogs and news providers to pick this up. Please join in unless there are better ideas? >1000 posts here and it remains marked as "Fixed". The Feb 17 update hit the press as finally "fixing" the problem as well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T13:16:57+00:00

    I just received my Surface Pro 4 and am having the same problem.  I checked for an update this morning and it didn't find one.

    I also have a major problem with phantom touches.  This may actually cause me to return it.  These are driving me crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T08:42:35+00:00

    I wonder what devices the MS software engineers use. Do they have any of these problems? Is this a rare problem had by only a few hundred/thousands of us? Perhaps it is ... rare.

    Is there an error log we can send someone (someone important?) Will anyone know what it means though?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T04:06:18+00:00

    Yes I have SP4 and it does not get hot during sleep (perhaps a future 'fix' will change this?)

    A few days ago the non-wake problem stopped and it would successfully wake. In attempting to get my mouse cursor appearing on waking, and having to do various MS engineer fixes for this, somehow the wake problem has disappeared, and I can generally have it waking up, no heat. I have tested set to Sleep and it was stable and working for a few days. I also tested hibernate and this was generally no problems waking. Unfortunately though, I still have to restart because of the mouse problem, so I am no better off.

    I have estimated the hours spent since getting it with the various problems I have had, especially the non-wake one here, and the hours doing work and it is much more reporting, researching and going through the various fixes recommended than doing work on it.

    Mostly I use my Surface now just for testing for waking and restarting for the mouse cursor now. It's becoming my non-paid day job.

    Unfortunately I have purchased various software for it so cannot return it without a loss (I would not get another MS device).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments