Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T17:25:29+00:00

    My SP4 was working great until the update on 17/2/2016. Now I have problems with waking the Surface from sleep, both with and without being plugged in. The machine is running hot and the battery life today went from 60% to 6% in about 20 minutes. 

    Can I uninstall the update as everything was fine before this was downloaded?

    Yes, through system restore. From the search bar search for "restore" and click on the "create system restore point control panel" option. Select restore my system and choose a point from before the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T16:48:20+00:00

    My SP4 was working great until the update on 17/2/2016. Now I have problems with waking the Surface from sleep, both with and without being plugged in. The machine is running hot and the battery life today went from 60% to 6% in about 20 minutes. 

    Can I uninstall the update as everything was fine before this was downloaded?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T16:15:05+00:00

    I have this update installed and confirmed since 2/18/16 but I didn't start experiencing this problem until 2/24/16 so for about a week after the update it worked fine. I got my SP4 on 2/17/16 so I can't speak to any potential problems before the update. Any help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T14:24:20+00:00

    Thanks for the video. This little trick used to work for me (sometimes) before the Feb 17 update, when the SP failed to wake from sleep (only) once or twice per week.

    Actually, during the week following Feb 17 the SP4 behaved correctly, no issues with sleep. But on Thursday Feb 25 its like someone flipped a switch, and now it fails to wake from sleep about 75% of the time.

    I'm meeting with 5-7 clients during the week and this situation has been unproductive to say the least. It also fuels many uncomfortable conversations about Microsoft's reliability issues, and the choice I made for supporting them!

    This is really unfortunate, the SP3 was rock solid - it just worked, and it changed the perception about Microsoft, bringing back innovation AND stability. I realize that these issues are also related to Intel, but this high end device has Microsoft written all over it, so they need to own that, and fix the Surface Pro 4 (and the Surface Book) once and for all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments