Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T20:03:30+00:00

    All,

    I've returned my SP4. Good luck. I'm heading back to my mac. I'll be watching from afar waiting for this tech to mature.

    S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T18:20:42+00:00

    Hi,

      I've bene living with the update now since it came out. I had the black screen on wake problem, and the running hot while sleeping problem. In general, this has been fixed, but not 100%. I do not quite yet trust it enough to pack it into a bag and get on a plane without first hibernating it or shutting it down. I do trust it enough to grab it and go to a coffee shop or to work.

      Here is what I've found: First, about one in 5 times, when I open the keyboard the keyboard lights come on but the screen remains black. When this happens, a quick press of the power button turns off the keyboard lights, and a second quick press turns everything back on again, including the screen. I have not had to do a single hard reset since the update, which is a big change!

      As far as running hot. The sleep study thing (which I didn't know about until recently) has proved very helpful. The culprits are usually "Microsoft Skype", "OneNote", and "Edge". All three of those I kind-a depend on. I'm not sure how they are preventing the machine from sleeping, but if I'm just using the machine normally and the fan comes on, it is often one of these that is running flat out on a single CPU/thread. Though sleep study has never mentioned it, I've seen other components at 100% - like the service host, or the compressed memory manager.

      So, even for me, though the thing is behaving significantly better, there is still some work to do. But some of it seems like windows 10 optimization, not just SP4 optimization.

      Cheers,

        Gordon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T18:16:43+00:00

    This update did NOT fix my problem - Windows Surface Pro 4 still does not wake up from sleep if left in sleep for more than a few minutes... this is unacceptable!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T17:30:02+00:00

    Please tweet for me.  I don't use twitter and I am very disappointed with my Surface Pro 4.  It's been replace once already and I still have the issue of not waking up after sleep.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments