Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T22:34:42+00:00

    Gordon, any thoughts on the running hot issue when it is the host usb driver or program that is taking up 75%? When I'm sleeping hot, that seems to be the culprit. I've never seen One Note of Skype doing it, but then I don't keep those open either.  But I don't think it is possible to do anything to that USB thing....and it will run hot in sleep even if undocked, so no USB in it.  I haven't yet checked a sleep study undocked though.  

    I haven't noticed anything with "USB" in its title. I have definitely wondered if Edge and OneNote were false positives - that there was something system-level was going on, and it just happened to be occurring in those processes so those processes got the blame.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T21:37:49+00:00

    After I installed Insider Build 14271 last week, the problem has gone away and the system starts normally every time!

    In looking at what that build fixes, it doesn't mention our issues.  Also seems surprising given that it is for ALL Win 10, and most others with Win 10 don't have our Surface issues.  But interesting nonetheless.  I would hope if this is the case that MSFT will push it out for all.

    When you say it is fixed, does that include now not getting very warm during Sleep?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T21:12:31+00:00

    After I installed Insider Build 14271 last week, the problem has gone away and the system starts normally every time!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T20:49:21+00:00

    Gordon, any thoughts on the running hot issue when it is the host usb driver or program that is taking up 75%? When I'm sleeping hot, that seems to be the culprit. I've never seen One Note of Skype doing it, but then I don't keep those open either.  But I don't think it is possible to do anything to that USB thing....and it will run hot in sleep even if undocked, so no USB in it.  I haven't yet checked a sleep study undocked though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments