Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T19:37:54+00:00

    No Brother print drivers installed on mine, and I have the problem - so I don't think it's exclusively related to Brother print drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T19:25:01+00:00

    Hi All,

    I was experiencing an almost identical problem with my newly purchased Surface pro 4. Most of the time it would require a hard reset by holding down the power button 30s  in order to restart after sleep. The 2/17 update is installed. I visited our local MS Store for help and they concluded that this particular Surface was faulty and exchanged it for a new unit. However, on reinstalling the software and drivers I had been using, the problem returned. I determined that the culprit was the Microsoft driver for my Brother L2700DW printer.  The printer is installed to be shared and accessible through a wired TCP/IP network. When the driver is installed the Surface Pro 4 fails to recover from sleep most of the time. This behavior is completely reproducible.  I have no way of knowing how generic this behavior is to other drivers for Brother printers. This instance should be reported to Microsoft for correction.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T18:32:13+00:00

    Any other ideas?

    Sadly after many restarts, and manually installing the updates using the .msi file as noted above (though device manager had the current drivers and no yellow triangle, but I manually reinstalled them just in case), I still have the 4 updates saying require restart. The Surface Pro 4 rarely now awakes from sleep, so have to do the hold power for 30 seconds etc each time.![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=f23812ca-0561-4d92-80cf-9dd4560d1118)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T17:44:32+00:00

    Same here - completely unacceptable

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments