Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T21:41:22+00:00

    OK...today's updates didn't help.  After going to sleep for about an hour I couldn't get it to wake up.  Had to do the power button for 30 secs trick.

    Going to remove the printer to see if that makes a difference.  Have Canon printers here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T21:07:04+00:00

    Just curious - did you let Windows install the drivers, or did you download from the Brother site and install those?

    I had initially installed the drivers and the related support software using the Brother disc that came with the printer.  There were no warnings about unsigned drivers. I removed the printer from devices and also uninstalled the related software from Apps. That cleared the sleep problem. I then tried the simpler installation using the "Add Printer" dialog. That installed the Microsoft driver and the sleep problem reappeared. I removed the printer and the sleep problem was cleared again.

    I still have some weird behavior. I have the Power and Sleep setting to disable the power button and only sleep on closing the cover. Now if you click the Sleep option in the Start Menu > Power menu, the tablet immediately does a soft restart asking for log-in. Earlier I had found a setting to remove sleep from the Power menu options but I cannot find that anymore.

    My Surface just installed the latest update. Maybe that will change things again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T21:03:48+00:00

    I can't answer the question about awaking from Sleep because I disable Sleep and only use Hibernate. My usage patterns are such that Hibernate works better for me than Sleep however I did use it for a few day during the problems. I don't recall there being a problem waking after Sleep not that my system ever got hot.

    I though I had made it clear in my first post that this was just a boot problem (after shutdown or hibernate only) so I don't know how it got into the Sleep problems area. I followed a lot of the recommendations offered here with no improvement. I was reluctant to install 14271 because of a reported problem with BSOD and Hibernate but it did appear to fix MY problem. I hope everyone else can find the magic cure.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T20:31:06+00:00

    My SP4 just showed an update KB3140743 - Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4: March 1, 2016.  Downloading now to see what (if anything) it helps with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments