Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T04:03:49+00:00

    That's one thing that actually worked pretty good(printer);

    As for update.. at least we got one!! Normally were left in the cold

    Hopefully soon sleep will rock..:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T03:30:15+00:00

    I wouldn't stress over trying to solve for printer drivers. My device is out of box except for current Windows Updates, including March 1 update. I have the sleep issue repeatedly. Many others are in the same boat. Its a fundamental problem with the device and OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T01:54:29+00:00

    Well...removing the printer drivers didn't help either.  Checked it about 3 hours and 45 minutes later, and it wouldn't wake up...again.  Had to do the power button for 30 seconds trick again.  Battery also dropped in that time from 80% to 45%, and my SP4 was kinda warm.  I've also noticed that when it goes into this "won't wake up" mode and I have to do the power button thing, it also is stuck in tablet mode when it comes back on until I remove and reconnect the keyboard.

    Guess I'll be changing the settings back to Hibernate instead of Sleep until they can get this fixed.  That's the only thing that seems to work well for me.  I have zero issues with putting it into hibernate mode and then waking it up later.  I'm a Mac guy, and I actually really like this SP4 and Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T22:04:38+00:00

    Yup, didn't work for me either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments