Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T15:04:13+00:00

    FYI for all, the 3/1 windows updates did not fix the problem for me.

    Join in: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T14:19:33+00:00

    Post 2/17 updates (no issues in device manager and  all version numbers correct), I'm now experiencing the blank screen on wakeup while plugged in and an extended sleep period, aka overnite. The 3-finger salute brings it back 95% of the time but had to do a forced shutdown a couple of times.

    When on battery no wake problems thus far, strange indeed.......

    workaround is set to hibernate instead of sleep while plugged in

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T14:01:22+00:00

    Not clear if this March 1st update include any fix for our issue, the only mentioned bootup improvement is here:

    Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.

    Full detail liste here:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

    I'm gonna try it as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T07:37:07+00:00

    OK...today's updates didn't help.  After going to sleep for about an hour I couldn't get it to wake up.  Had to do the power button for 30 secs trick.

    Going to remove the printer to see if that makes a difference.  Have Canon printers here.

    I don't have my surface yet, but will be picking it up tomorrow.  The wake and sleep issue is a common Windows 10 issue.  I used the fix below and resolved the issue on my i7 notebook. I thought it may be worth a try on the surface.

    My notebook would not wake up, and it was absolutely driving me crazy. This is what fixed it for me. 

    1:  In settings assign "sleep" to the power button for plug and on battery, assign "do nothing" for all other options. 

    2:  Uncheck "fast startup". *no substantial difference in speed whatsoever.

    3:  Save settings.

    4:  Restart 

    5:  Use the power button only for sleep and wake up, do not do it from power in the start menu!. 

    This fix worked perfectly for me, no more holding down the power button for 30 sec and all that nonsense, basically a restart!

    Please let be know if it works for your surface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments