Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T05:31:59+00:00

    None of this worked for me all the updates are installed and the driver versions check out with what is listed here.  SP4...

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145770

    Still won't turn on the screen after a wakeup from stand by.

    Sincerely frustrated here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T05:28:58+00:00

    All:

    As of March 2, 2016 I continue to experience the problem described here. Specifically after returning from sleep I can see the camera activate and Windows Hello logs me in. However, the screen does not display.

    Here is what I've found:

    • I frequently use an external plugged directly into the SP4 using the Extend option. When coming out of sleep mode I found that if I press the Windows-P, then home button, then Enter my SP4 internal display will come on.

    For some reason the problem appears to be Windows not activating the internal display but, theoretically, having trouble with where to present the image. Resetting presentation mode back to internal monitor seems to resolve the issue. My system appears to be stuck in extended mode because I can press the up arrow twice to get the same results. The problem even occurs if I manually perform these steps before disconnecting the external monitor.

    I would be curios to know if others have a similar experience in that they are using an external monitor at some point in the process.

    I suspect this can be resolved with an update from Microsoft once they get a handle on the cause of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T01:22:42+00:00

    I thought I was safe and then ...

    I have all settings (that I know) avoiding sleep and choosing hibernate.  But despite this, just now, after about 5 minutes no activity the Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8GB, 256GB) put itself into connected standby and would not come back to life, until the power button was pressed for 20 seconds for a reset.  This occurred with no keyboard attached and not plugged in.

    It is pretty frustrating and would have been very annoying if I had left the Surface with open and half-completed work. 

    I have bought an Acer Aspire V5 for my grandson and it has the same chipset.  It will be interesting to see how it copes with sleep ....  I'll report back, and grit my teeth about the Surface Pro.![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=b27ac645-0030-4933-8060-51a46559547f)

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=eb108f72-8f80-40b6-8873-e8abf4704bca)![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=ec1c8441-f448-4ee2-bc1f-a746844a8316)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T00:49:52+00:00

    not helpful, doesn't resolve the problem at all.  Makes Microsoft look bad to give such a poor response.   And have such a basic problem with the tablet/laptop 'flagship'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments