Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T15:35:36+00:00

    I'm not sure if this is already well-known, but Windows logo key +Ctrl+Shift+B turns my screen back on every time this happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T13:13:12+00:00

    Bought surface pro 4 couple of weeks back and very next day itself started showing problems. Heating , battery drains etc. And the new problem is intermittently screen wont turn up once I lock and then tries to unlock the machine. Just a black screen . Nothing coming up. Need to power it off after keeping on pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds and need to turn it on then. Causing losing my work many times. Not reliable at all. Very disappointed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T10:45:33+00:00

    All:

    As of March 2, 2016 I continue to experience the problem described here. Specifically after returning from sleep I can see the camera activate and Windows Hello logs me in. However, the screen does not display.

    Here is what I've found:

    • I frequently use an external plugged directly into the SP4 using the Extend option. When coming out of sleep mode I found that if I press the Windows-P, then home button, then Enter my SP4 internal display will come on.

    For some reason the problem appears to be Windows not activating the internal display but, theoretically, having trouble with where to present the image. Resetting presentation mode back to internal monitor seems to resolve the issue. My system appears to be stuck in extended mode because I can press the up arrow twice to get the same results. The problem even occurs if I manually perform these steps before disconnecting the external monitor.

    I would be curios to know if others have a similar experience in that they are using an external monitor at some point in the process.

    I suspect this can be resolved with an update from Microsoft once they get a handle on the cause of the problem. 

    I was having this problem with my desktop.  It is a put together system with a ASUS board and i7 5th gen.  I had the second monitor as my TV and it was left of the main monitor.  The operating system kept identifying the main monitor as monitor 2.  I could not force the main monitor to be monitor 1 and when the computer woke it would look for the monitor 1 and place all the desk top items on that monitor.  Even when that monitor was not on.  (it might have appeared to the system to be on since the HDMI was switched through a sound bar.  This happened after I got a new monitor for the main monitor and switched from DVI to VGA for that main monitor. 

    I kept forcing the correct monitor by using the Win-P as you have been doing.  Then one day it quit screwing up.  Very strange.  I sent a note to MS asking why I could not force the order of the monitors and have it stay.  not sure if they heard.  As far as I know the system still makes the choice on which monitor identifies as number 1.  Seems like we should be able to fix that if it is going to have an effect on operation.

    On the subject of the wake from sleep.  I had that and it is gone now as well.  after the March 1 update all is well.  not sure when it fixed because I went from Feb 19 to march 2 with the sleep disabled due to that problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T05:44:38+00:00

    All:

    As of March 2, 2016 I continue to experience the problem described here. Specifically after returning from sleep I can see the camera activate and Windows Hello logs me in. However, the screen does not display.

    Here is what I've found:

    • I frequently use an external plugged directly into the SP4 using the Extend option. When coming out of sleep mode I found that if I press the Windows-P, then home button, then Enter my SP4 internal display will come on.

    For some reason the problem appears to be Windows not activating the internal display but, theoretically, having trouble with where to present the image. Resetting presentation mode back to internal monitor seems to resolve the issue. My system appears to be stuck in extended mode because I can press the up arrow twice to get the same results. The problem even occurs if I manually perform these steps before disconnecting the external monitor.

    I would be curios to know if others have a similar experience in that they are using an external monitor at some point in the process.

    I suspect this can be resolved with an update from Microsoft once they get a handle on the cause of the problem. 

    I've never had an external display connected to my SP4.  Mine just doesn't wake back up after going to sleep.  The camera doesn't activate for Windows Hello to log me in.  Nothing happens.  I have to hold the power button for 30 seconds, then release it and press it again to start my SP4 working again.  The only thing that seems to work for me is to change all the power options (for the button, closing the cover, etc) to Hibernate instead of Sleep.  When set to Hibernate everything works great - so that's where I'm leaving the settings until they can get things fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments