Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T20:10:27+00:00

    FYI Bill Gates left MIcrosoft almost 10 years ago

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T18:23:10+00:00

    Hi All,

    We released an update on 2/17/2016 that addresses this issue.

    We recommend that you install this update to keep your Surface performing its best. You can get updates now by checking Settings> Update & security> Windows Update.

    To confirm the updates are installed, check Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View your update history.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Josh,

    I own a surface pro 4 and I have been having the same problem, most of the time I can hit the good old ctr, alt, del and the screen will turn on so I can enter my password. I have installed the update that is "supposed" to fix this issue and it hasn't. So my question for you is have they actually fixed the problem and if so where can I find this mythical solution.. Leave it to microcrap to release a product full of bugs, I should have known better and just purchased a mac. I do really like the surface pro 4, it was a great idea but if there is no quick solution to this expensive paper weight I will definitely be returning it and taking my business to apple never to return. You know bill gates is supposed to be this software genus but windows since the day it was born has always had problems... So in hindsight the only good thing to come from bill gates was windows a design he stole. Microsoft's ideas are great but they are always released too soon creating software problems that they constantly try to fix through updates until they release a new version promised to be better that end up having more software problems... what a joke and how they are still in business is beyond me.... sooo all that being said. any fix to the latest software problem or am I taking this piece of **** back to Microsoft and heading to apple?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T17:03:13+00:00

    I'm not sure if this is already well-known, but Windows logo key +Ctrl+Shift+B turns my screen back on every time this happens.

    I'll try this to see if it's a 100% effective of me. But, this is sold as a tablet as well and the keyboard is an additional accessory. I often use it without a keyboard.

    Join in: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Ah, good point. My keyboard is never far away from my surface so the shortcut ends up working perfectly for me. But the surface pro is marketed as a tablet-first hybrid, so I agree that microsoft still needs to fix the damn problem ASAP.

    P.S.

    You can (sorta) test it now, your screen should turn off and on again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T16:10:08+00:00

    I'm not sure if this is already well-known, but Windows logo key +Ctrl+Shift+B turns my screen back on every time this happens.

    I'll try this to see if it's a 100% effective of me. But, this is sold as a tablet as well and the keyboard is an additional accessory. I often use it without a keyboard.

    Join in: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments