Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T23:13:20+00:00

    Yes I know this, and there has been no difference from the time Microsoft began till now. I think it's just going to be the fact that Microsoft Windows operating system should have never hit the floor because I really just don't think that there is any fixing it. The only improvement I've seen over the years is that it's starting to look and work more like Apple which would make sense in regard to Microsoft stealing other peoples designs it's just that they're doing it slowly so it's not as noticeable lol.

    I think that is very unfair. The Windows 7 OS running on 3 PC's I have here has never crashed in any way.  Problems in Windows are almost always due to 3rd party Apps. MS doesn't patrol its developers like Apple does, although they are starting to make sure users know when they go to install uncertified software. In Win 7  I have never had an App take down the OS.

    Both MS and Apple took the ideas for a GUI based user interface from Xerox Parc. If MS hadn't ported Office to the original Mac when it came out it would have probably failed. Mac users had to put up with a cooperatively multitasking OS for long years after MS came out with a proper preemptive multitasking OS.

    The problem we are discussing here seems to be related to the Surface Pro 4 hardware and there is really no excuse for MS putting out their own, supposedly premium, hardware with this kind of problem. I am not aware, but someone correct me if I am wrong, of this particular problem existing on other hardware. Unlike Apple, MS has to try to put out software that will work on a vast range of possible commodity hardware configurations, and support a long tail of legacy apps. I am surprised there are not more problems when they release a new OS  than there actually are.

    I guess I should sign as a Windows fan boy ! I have been a part time professional Windows support person since MSDOS and Windows 3.0.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T23:11:42+00:00

    Yes - the 2/17 update seems to have fixed the problem.  The issue is that for some people (me for example) the update failed to install first time (no warning of course).

    Microsoft are aware of this and have posted a fix to fix the fix!  See their note below:

    • We are aware of a limited number of customers for whom the 2/17 Surface firmware updates did not properly install. Our engineering team has provided simple instructions on our support page athttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/3145770!\[\](https://www.microsoft.com/surface/assets/img/external.png) for checking the status of the installation and manually completing in cases where this is necessary.
    • If you update the operating system on your Surface, this will clear your existing update history.
    • Firmware updates cannot be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version.

    This is usual MS double talk  i.e. Limit number = Many  and Simple = Beyond usual home user capability

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T22:45:39+00:00

    My SP4 continues to be fine, somewhat inexplicably.  It did not do well after the "fix" a few weeks ago, with the main issue being the heat because I too used hibernate mostly.  However, on the 29th, it began to work fine and now I only use Sleep. 

    SO, it appears the fix has helped many folks.  But clearly there are residual problems.  At this point, why not go back to the store and demonstrate the Sleep problem.  It's clearly been fixed, so they need to give you a new unit.

    A friend just bought an SP4 and has no problems. 

    I hope to hear from you on a new WORKING SP4. 

    I still think they owe their good customers, who stuck with them, something....a new power supply, a percentage off new accessories, etc., as waiting from late November (when I bought it) to this week is not real excusable.  It's not like MSFT isn't sitting on tons of cash.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T21:56:14+00:00

    Yes I know this, and there has been no difference from the time Microsoft began till now. I think it's just going to be the fact that Microsoft Windows operating system should have never hit the floor because I really just don't think that there is any fixing it. The only improvement I've seen over the years is that it's starting to look and work more like Apple which would make sense in regard to Microsoft stealing other peoples designs it's just that they're doing it slowly so it's not as noticeable lol.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments