Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T01:33:26+00:00

    Just in case any Microsoft reps are reading this thread - I have this issue too.

    I DIDN'T have it until the last round of firmware updates, mid-February.  That's when it STARTED.  Up until that point, my Surface Pro 4 was issue-free.

    I've had to disable sleep wherever possible and hibernate instead.  It works, but it's a bit of a pain to have to do that on a TABLET computer.

    All my firmware drivers are up-to-date (I've checked the version numbers against what's listed above).

    I've only just now learned of the Win-Ctrl-Shift-B trick.  I'll try that next...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T01:17:41+00:00

    I have made sure I have all the updates and still have the same problem. I have checked the driver versions also.

    Frustrated here!  Please fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-04T00:40:20+00:00

    Yes - the 2/17 update seems to have fixed the problem.  The issue is that for some people (me for example) the update failed to install first time (no warning of course).

    Microsoft are aware of this and have posted a fix to fix the fix!  See their note below:

    • We are aware of a limited number of customers for whom the 2/17 Surface firmware updates did not properly install. Our engineering team has provided simple instructions on our support page athttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/3145770!\[\](https://www.microsoft.com/surface/assets/img/external.png) for checking the status of the installation and manually completing in cases where this is necessary.
    • If you update the operating system on your Surface, this will clear your existing update history.
    • Firmware updates cannot be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version.

    This is usual MS double talk  i.e. Limit number = Many  and Simple = Beyond usual home user capability

    Good luck!

    The 2/17 update did not fix the problem for me.  Also the "fix to fix the fix" was of no use to me.  I have nothing in Device Manager that's listed as failed.  Everything installed correctly, and I even looked at the firmware versions to verify they match the versions listed in the "fix to fix the fix" article.  Everything matched.  I still have the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-03T23:22:32+00:00

    My SP4 continues to be fine, somewhat inexplicably.  It did not do well after the "fix" a few weeks ago, with the main issue being the heat because I too used hibernate mostly.  However, on the 29th, it began to work fine and now I only use Sleep. 

    SO, it appears the fix has helped many folks.  But clearly there are residual problems.  At this point, why not go back to the store and demonstrate the Sleep problem.  It's clearly been fixed, so they need to give you a new unit.

    A friend just bought an SP4 and has no problems. 

    I hope to hear from you on a new WORKING SP4. 

    I still think they owe their good customers, who stuck with them, something....a new power supply, a percentage off new accessories, etc., as waiting from late November (when I bought it) to this week is not real excusable.  It's not like MSFT isn't sitting on tons of cash. 

    I got my SP4 replaced at an MS store without any hassle after I demonstrated  the problem requiring a hard reset after sleep subsequent to the 2/12 update. I subsequently reacquired the problem and discovered that I could fix it by removing a Brother Printer driver, but that is another story.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments