Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T23:50:10+00:00

    push and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then push and release as normal to turn it on

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T19:26:27+00:00

    How do you see to do the update if the screen is blank?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T08:32:30+00:00

    You have just described my exact experience with my Surface.

    When plugged into the wall socket, I am fine.

    I do not have the battery drain at all, but just the black screen at times when I am on battery.

    I just hope future firmware releases will fix this issue.

    The only consolation I have is that, I am not alone.

    Thanks for your reply

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T07:47:08+00:00

    I'm not sure if it's always been like this or if I changed something (since I've been reinstalling drivers, disabled fastboot, etc). But it's pretty clear to me now that my surface pro 4 (with all updates installed, including 2/17) sleeps fine when it's connected to power. It's only when I put it to sleep while on battery that it won't wake up and I have to do a hard reset. In fact it seems like it never sleeps, since there is no record of it having gone to sleep when I run powercfg -sleepstudy after having to do a hard reset.  Anyone else have this experience?

    I've also noticing quite a few errors in the event viewer after a hard reset. I can't tell if they are the cause or just a response to the hard reset. I see a couple of Lock Screen errors, some Perfmon errors and other things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments