Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T01:39:12+00:00

    The 2/17 firmware is still defective. I mean, it is defective by itself, not the installation process.

    It has been half a year that Microsoft still have not resolved this problem, most likely the hardware has intrinsic problems,  it deserve a class action lawsuit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T00:14:59+00:00

    I have a surface pro 4.  Every time I attempt to start the surface, the screen stays black.  I have to hold the power button for 30 seconds every time I want to use the surface which restarts its.  I have tweeted surface support last week but never received any response back.  I have also "chatted" with a live representative who first told me to hold the power button for 60 seconds, which restarted my surface but did not resolve the issue, and the rep never contacted me back to verify it was fixed.  The second time (30 minutes after the first rep), the rep logged into my PC and checked the system.  They then asked I shut down the PC, wait 5 minutes then log back in and they would contact me.  This was 5 minutes before the "chat" services closed, so I was not able to contact anyone after I rebooted and it did not fix my issue. 

    I am truly upset with the customer experience, not necessarily the equipment.  I also have a Lumia 950 which constantly freezes, buttons do not work and icons disappear, which I sent in for repair.  I have had both for less than 2 months each...

    Any assistance with my surface would be greatly appreciated, since I can not keep rebooting my device to use it every time.

    Thank you,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-07T19:03:25+00:00

    Finally today the whole day I found my SP4 waking up promptly, but the whole day I used it on power. Shall check this on battery tomorrow and update.

    Same here, my Surface was on wall power most of the day yesterday and worked fine. I even took it off of wall power and let it sleep for about 20 minutes, which was fine. Then this morning, I went to take it into work and had it sleeping for 1.5-2hrs on battery, and it wouldn't wake up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-07T18:04:36+00:00

    Finally today the whole day I found my SP4 waking up promptly, but the whole day I used it on power. Shall check this on battery tomorrow and update.

    But for a change none of my USB devices were getting ejected properly, SP4 kept saying its busy using the device though I closed all the apps that's using it.

    Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments