Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T05:46:23+00:00

    it does NOT work.  it made things worse.  at least i used to press win+P to get back the screen, now nothing other than a reboot!!!!

    i am tired of this.  tired of M$FT ****..  fix the thing ASAP M$FT.......

    ugh... annoying

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T03:29:40+00:00

    There to busy trying to be friends with Linus!!

    As for lawsuit I would say false advertisement, or even something in the lemon law..

    Woke up three times today with three black screens of death.. I'm so productive..:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T02:39:30+00:00

    I recommend disabling fast startup.

    How to Disable fast startup

    Fast startup is a setting that helps Windows start faster after shutdown. Windows does this by saving system info to a file when it shuts down.

    Step 1: Go to Start , and select Settings.
    Step 2: In the search box, enter power button, and in the search results, select Change what the power buttons do.
    Step 3: Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    Step 4: Clear the Turn on fast startup (recommended) check box if it is selected.
    Step 5: Select Save changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T02:25:51+00:00

    I was thinking the same thing yesterday, there should be a class action.  MS always sells the idea that their Engineers use Surface to design Surface.  That must be false.  Would a company really use a product that inevitably means a loss of work and productivity unpredictably when their employees have to do a 30-second power button reset after their coffee breaks?  Hopefully SkyWest won't be putting the SP4 in cockpits at any time soon.  I'm amazed I keep buying the same product (SP3 & SP4).  My routine now (while most of the time) is to ensure I save everything I'm working on before closing the cover or leaving my SP4 for more than a few minutes.  At least the unpredictability of screen wake-up has kept me on my toes and increased my workflow discipline.  Thanks MS.  Maybe they can sell this as a 'feature' of the SP4?  That would help them in a class action in any case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments