Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T17:25:24+00:00

    Also having a Surface Dock?

    P.s. Most people having this issue, are having a dock, so it might be related.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T17:08:41+00:00

    Josh_F, I regret to say that i continue to have this issue.  My surface pro 4 is running version 1511, OS Build 10586.122. My symptoms are identical to what were described by PennyGoodstein.  My surface pro goes to sleep after some period of inactivity and will not wake up.  Pressing any keys or the power buttons results in the keyboard lighting up, but the screen does not turn on.  The only solution i've found so far is to press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds to force a restart.  I can't imagine that this is good for the device, nor is it good for me, especially since all my apps that were open are terminated including anything i might have been working on.  The issue happens quite frequently, i'd say at least once / day. it's not like it only happens once in a hundred days.  Please advise.

    -Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T15:51:26+00:00

    I was at an important board meeting yesterday, and once again, my SP4 refused to wake from sleep - I was forced to hold the power button down and reboot.  (I wanted to grab a quick answer from OneNote, but instead lost several minutes to futzing around and utterly failed to produce the desired info...)

    This makes the computer useless - There is NO WAY I can rely on my SP4 waking up, and forcing a power-off crash can clearly result in horrendous OS corruption like that that rendered my first SP4 incapable of running *any* Modern app (including the Start Menu and Action Center to even try to *get* to controls...)

    In fact, I now pretty much COUNT on my SP4 screwing up EVERY SINGLE TIME I UNDOCK IT and put it to sleep.  A tablet/slate that only works when docked is crippled, indeed.

    This is NOT fixed, and there is no combination of sleep/hibernate/settings that makes it even passably reliable.  I'm back to defaults for everything, and it still doesn't work any better.

    Remember - your odds are LITERALLY better with Russian Roulette than trying to get an SP4 to wake properly.

    FIX THIS, MICROSOFT!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T13:10:09+00:00

    Josh,

    The SP4 (i5/8GB/256GB) is terribly unreliable with respect to waking from sleep and generally not sucking power like a Pentium II. The 2/17/2016 update if anything made things much worse.

    And this is on a fresh from the factory image restore from USB. Or a fresh Windows 10 install from MSDN ISO. 

    It's not good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments