Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T22:36:37+00:00

    For all the people that have recently engaged in this forum, I'm guessing you have not taken the time to read the 117 pages of posts here. There have been many attempts to prod MS for answers, spanning the scale from nasty to professional. All have resulted in the same response, NONE. I'm not sure what we can do to raise more attention on this and force action. Probably nothing. But I would encourage you to take a crack on social media. Post on blogs, Twitter, whatever you can. This forum does not get heavily noticed. It would be great to try and get this Antennagate-type attention. This is a far worse problem than that. It's going to be difficult, but let's do what we can? Posting here alone repeatedly has not changed any MS behavior on this issue. Any better ideas?

    #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Tip: If you are tweeting, don't start off with an @mention or an obscure url, it tends to not surface the tweets in search if you do, unless some sort of criteria are met. Seems a bit complex,I learned something through this :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T21:58:09+00:00

    Agreed the silence from Microsoft is unacceptable for a company that supposedly values its customers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T20:51:21+00:00

    Dear Josh_F,

    Mark Cucera has written very clearly and politely.  I am sure you agree.

    It would be polite and appropriate to reply, with a degree of urgency.  We are surely worthy of a response from Microsoft. Many people have taken the trouble to describe this sleep/wake problem. Many of us are Insiders, and Microsoft says that it values our efforts. This should be a two-way relationship, and I am afraid that Microsoft is not pulling its weight.

    Here is a simple question:

    Does Microsoft believe that has fixed this problem?

    Please answer that at least.

    I do have a workaround (hibernation) which is not ideal but at least keeps me sane. But I would like to know what your opinion of the current status is.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T19:07:19+00:00

    Josh,

    MANY people are still having issues after the 2/17 update. Many worse than before the update, including myself. IS THIS BEING ADDRESSED by Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments