Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T05:50:58+00:00

    Hi, i'm still having issues with waking from sleep and rebooting instead.

    The update was successfully installed. Is there anything else i can do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T04:57:47+00:00

    Hi All,

    We released an update on 2/17/2016 that addresses this issue.

    We recommend that you install this update to keep your Surface performing its best. You can get updates now by checking Settings> Update & security> Windows Update.

    To confirm the updates are installed, check Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View your update history.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Incidentally, I was not having this issue before the 2/17 firmware update. I was having other issues where the battery was draining while the Surface Book was asleep, but I wasn't having a problem with the screen not resuming when I resumed the Surface. After the 2/17 firmware update, I am having this problem. Everything appears to be installed correctly in terms of the updates. I can see in Device Manager that all of the relevant components are functioning. Is there still a problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T04:09:40+00:00

    not sure that's true, i don't have a dock for example

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T03:25:26+00:00

    Unproductive and makes windows look bad.. anyways theres an update today. The changelog says something about improve hibernate speed but nothing about black screen of death, who knows maybe its mysteriously fixed!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments