Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T04:54:30+00:00

    Another update 3/8/2016

    It restarted a couple of times (Surface Pro 4).

    Updates for Windows 10 Version 1511

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10#[March 8, 2016 — KB3140768 (OS Build 10586.164)](http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10#)

    This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

    • Improved support for Bluetooth, wearables, and apps accessing contacts.
    • Improved reliability in app installation and Narrator.
    • Improved performance for hibernation, content entry in apps, and downloading and installing updates.
    • Fixed issue that didn't allow login to an Xbox from a PC running Windows 10.
    • Fixed security issue created when attempting to play corrupted content.
    • Fixed security issue that could allow remote code execution while viewing a PDF in Microsoft Edge.
    • Fixed additional issues with .NET Framework, Internet Explorer 11, and networking.
    • Fixed additional security issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, USB storage driver, kernel mode drivers, .NET Framework, graphic fonts, OLE, secondary logon, PDF library, and Adobe Flash Player.

    For more info about the security fixes in this update and a complete list of affected files, see KB3140768.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T04:24:24+00:00

    I bought a Surface Pro 4 in February 2016 to replace my old (but working) Surface Pro. One of the first things I did was install the "fix" to this sleep issue. Sorry to say, it's not fixed on my SP4! I had to use the software restart button, because the two button restart didn't work and it only gave me a screen with some spinning dots. My original Surface Pro worked like a champ and it's a shame that I sold it. Anyway, this is unacceptable, Microsoft! Two out of three products I purchased from MS were failures

    • this SP4 and my Lumia 950XL (which I sent back). At least my Microsoft Band 2 works great!
    • Sent from my non-freezing iPad Air

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T02:12:48+00:00

    Press and hold the power button  for 30 seconds, then push it again to turn on

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T01:38:44+00:00

    How am I supposed to install updates when the computer will not turn on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments