Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T17:22:43+00:00

    I got a brand new Surface Pro 4 about 2 months ago and it's been working fine for the most part. However, about 2 weeks ago after I installed an update I ran into a problem that I'd never had before. Whenever I put the Surface to sleep for more than a few minutes I have to force a restart using the power button in order to turn it back on again. I've looked at threads where people have had similar problems but most people just say to install the latest update, which I have already done.

    This  is a very frustrating problem for a product that's supposed to be a tablet/laptop, and it has caused to lose some important work when this issue first started. For a device that's so expensive and meant to replace my laptop and tablet, this is an unacceptable issue. I'm seriously considering returning the Surface or trying to sell it if this problem can't be resolved.

    If anyone has any advice or solutions to this problem I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T15:50:19+00:00

    Hi All,

    We released an update on 2/17/2016 that addresses this issue.

    We recommend that you install this update to keep your Surface performing its best. You can get updates now by checking Settings> Update & security> Windows Update.

    To confirm the updates are installed, check Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View your update history.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Still not fixed. Have 3 Surface Pro 4 and all of them have the updates installed and still don't wake up sometimes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T11:21:14+00:00

    Unfortunately the closest thing I can offer to constructive feedback is to try to restore the device to factory defaults, perhaps using the recovery image from here.

    Otherwise it looks like you may have a problematic unit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T05:32:57+00:00

    I got a Surface Pro 4 about 2 months ago and it was working fine until recently. Since about 2 weeks ago, whenever I put my Surface to sleep for more than a couple minutes it requires me to reset it using the power button to turn it back on. I've got the latest updates installed and everything and I've checked forums where people have discussed similar problems, but nothing has worked for me.

    This has been a really frustrating issue, especially since it just came out of nowhere. I've lost some work when this issue first started as well and it's really quite annoying to have to be so careful about putting a device, that's supposed to be part tablet, to sleep.

    If anybody has any advice or a solution to this problem, I'd really appreciate it. Honestly, if this keeps up I might try to return or sell the Surface because a brand new tablet/laptop as expensive as this having an issue like this is ridiculous. Thanks in advance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments