Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T19:10:48+00:00

    I purchased a Surface Pro 4 on Feb 26, 2016. I have all the latest updates installed (last one on March 11). I am still have this issue once in a while, and I lose all my work from open applications as a result. The Surface Pro just displays a black screen, doesn't turn respond to any input, and I have to manually power off and then turn the system back on. Why is this still happening?

    I am also having another issue - when I wake up the computer, I only see a black screen and a mouse pointer (the screen is on) instead of the usual sign-in screen. I tried to hit ctrl-alt-del and that makes the sign-in screen appear. That is pretty messed up

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T11:49:06+00:00

    I had been considering a complete restart, but after reading that this did not help others and that new SP4s have the same problem we are all having, I am staying with hibernation and disabling help from Cortana on power management .  This is working pretty well for me. When I open the cover, the keyboard usually lights.  I hit enter and things start normally and very quickly.  pretty reliable and not much different in functionality.  I don't go without the power cord for long usually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T04:50:37+00:00

    This is totally driver related.. they can fix this if they really want.. I think its more of a turn everybody into a kernel developer so they get better at sysadmin!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T03:47:00+00:00

    My device manager does not have the exclamation points. I just got the surface pro 4 a few days ago and all updates are current. Problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments