Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-14T21:05:32+00:00

    You are all lucky in being able to use hibernation. I use it and often Bluetooth is disabled, meaning I have to restart anyway. Sleep, results in loss of battery, or cannot wake and loose stuff.

    And yes, like some of you, I actually get slightly anxious picking it up to work with now. I had to change my desktop screen as it was causing me anxiety just looking at it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-14T19:56:34+00:00

    Surface Pro 4 i7 / 16 Gb Memory / 512 Gb SSD

    My Surface pro 4 is still having annoying wake from sleep issue. I have the Feb 17 updated install and it appears it has not resolved anything with regard to this issue.

    My surface cannot wake from sleep, I get a black screen and the ONLY remedy is to hard restart the Surface. This is obviously not a reasonable work around.

    I press the power button to resume but nothing displays on the screen even though the TypeCover is backlit. I have tried many suggestions from various forums but without any luck whatsoever. 

    I have had to resort to disabling sleep on my device.  Very Annoying especially considering that this issue was supposed to be closed in February.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-14T18:22:53+00:00

    My SP4 has been doing well but I am mostly plugged in and docked.  Today, I had it unplugged, with keyboard, and it worked great on line, no fan, no heat.  But upon putting it to sleep with the keyboard closed, it would not wake up.  I ended up holding down the power button and then a screen came on asking if I really wanted to shut down? At that point I was able to get a log in screen when I did Ctr-alt-del.  Nothing open was lost, and it came out of sleep. Not real bad, but THIS IS NOT NORMAL.  JOSH?

    I think since it generally works well, the problem is this kind of intermittent problem.  Like occasional heat if I let it sleep on its own (after time).  Or these failures to wake, sometimes.  It's an intermittent reinforcement paradigm that is making any anxiety about the SP4 worse!  If a class action suit emerges, it may need to include mental health services.  And I'm still waiting for my free power cord for all the hassles! (Like a free drink on an airline for the delay?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more