Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T17:42:42+00:00

    Following up to my own post, the "unexpected shutdown" errors were unrelated. This was actually a hardware problem. I exchanged the device through Surface Support and restored my system image backup. No more crashes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T17:39:50+00:00

    So I tested a theory over the night and it seems to work. Surface was closed over 15 hours and did not produce the nowake problem.

    What I did was simply lock the device first. It does not in any way fix the problem but does get rid of the headache of having to force restart the Surface.

    I'll be searching for a way to turn off the Surface's ability to go in sleep from the front facing camera. If anyone knows how already, please reply.

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T16:45:30+00:00

    Hmm, locking the Surface first seems to be a slight work around. I am assuming its the way Windows is being put into sleep is the issue. I am also assuming the keyboard closing is causing it to bug. Locking it first will solve issue for short term sleep. I will test long term tonight.

    I agree, everything I've experienced so far points to an issue with the CPU sleep. I personally think the whole display driver fault chasing is a distraction.

    If it's the display driver that is at fault, and failing to bring up the display, everything else should be working - clicking on the pen should light up the keyboard, hooking up a dongle on the USB port should provide a sound and/or light on the dongle, etc.

    Has anybody else tried to confirm the computer is actually alive but it's only the display that's crashed?

    • Peter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T15:44:21+00:00

    It's almost half a year that the Surface Pro 4s have been out there, I cannot believe the inactivity Microsoft is demonstrating with all these issues. Sure, the waking up from sleep difficulties might be a problem with Intel Skylakes, but objectively speaking, they should have found out about that BEFORE they released the devices in the first place. You gotta admire how they went and sold a barely glued together piece of tech with a work-in-progress OS. From one disaster to another, well done, Microsoft, you sure fooled me this time. *slow clap

    All that and I still have more bugs on my SP4 than on any other device running Windows 10. Even the cheapo Intel Atom Asus Transformer TA-100 is more stable.

    The first and the last Surface device I ever buy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments