Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T18:40:17+00:00

    That doesn't work for me, nor does opening and closing the keyboard twice as was suggested on youtube. I wonder if all SP4s are like this or only some? Anyone know if some actually work right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T18:09:29+00:00

    Means Win+L

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T17:53:56+00:00

    I would like to try your workaround. What do you mean by "lock" the surface?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T17:52:31+00:00

    I completely agree with you, a high spec device with a high price should be almost perfect without any flaws. I wasn't expecting I will have such a flaw when I first bought it otherwise, I will never buy it.

    If I switched from sleep to hibernation mode, the top button of the pen used to open OneNote for note taking will not work of which I use it a lot.

    I still have a warranty on for my device, I contacted Microsoft about this issue & all they do is that they changed my power settings to options I don't even want (They cancelled sleep option, of which the device will never sleep) how funny it is?!, & then they ran a power management troubleshooter, but still it didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments