Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-26T00:38:21+00:00

    You should definitely return it while you still can!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T23:28:10+00:00

    Just returned mine to Costco. I really wanted to like the SP4 but the unreliability of the unit is not worth the price. I have been a MAC guy for 8 years and this is the 2nd PC I purchased in a year and returned because of the glitchness of Windows. I will never purchase another Windows machine. Just ordered my iPad Pro 12.9" from Costco. It included Smart Keyboard and pen for $1200.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T23:12:25+00:00

    Hello, 

    I have followed the above steps but am still having issues.  My screen with just go blank in the middle of using an application.  The keyboard is still backlit and the screen has some lighting but is black.  I have had this issue for the few weeks I have had the surface pro and am thinking of taking it back.  Any ideas.

    That sounds suspicious of a bad machine. I would get another.  The problem waking from sleep seems to plague some percentage of users, but going blank is absurd.  I for one hate redoing the OS and adding all the apps again, and I wouldn't accept that given all the **** with the SP4.  Get a new one, update it, and there are work arounds for sleep issue for now.  But other problems should not be tolerated (and if you don't want the hassle of the sleep wake issue, then get your money back). 

    I rarely use mine as a tablet so don't know if it will wake reliably in that state.  But as a laptop with keyboard, docked and undocked, I have not had wake problems from sleep since the updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T23:00:52+00:00

    Don't bother with the reset - you'll just have to restore all your stuff, reinstall all your programs, and it still won't help anyway.  Although Microsoft regularly recommends this, I have not seen a single report saying this helped, and I've been following issues related to broken SP4 firmware on this forum for several months now.  (This isn't like a reboot, it's more like your car dealer recommending that you remove and rebuild your engine on the kitchen table, just to see if it "might help..." - I've gotten pretty good at it as many times as I've done it now, but it still eats half a day every time I do.)

    As I said, I've tried this, and even a swap for a new SP4 afterwards, but no dice - this is a very fundamental hardware/firmware/software interaction problem, and it's really starting to look like it may not even be possible to fix it.  My guess is that the fact that the problem is so bad is the reason MS (and Intel) have gone silent on this - I think they *know* they can never fix this, and their legal teams have said it's better not to say nothing at all that could be used against them in court.  (By the way, this is craven cowardice - Panay, Meyerson, Nadella, or *someone* up in Redmond needs to grow a pair and 'fess up to what's really going on!)

    I did think it was interesting that at Apple's launch event this week, there were no Skylake Macs announced, despite some expectations that there would be....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments