Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:19:11+00:00

    Hi Josh,

    I bought my surface pro 4 about a week ago. did all the necessary updates including the 2/17/2016 but still have problems with it waking up from sleep, whether it be putting it to sleep by pressing the power button or by it going to sleep automatically after a certain time.

    As you mentioned above I checked the device manager and it seems the update has been properly installed.

    What could be the problem?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T15:34:54+00:00

    Even with the update installed it does not wake from sleep.

    I would be happy help submit any additional logs/ diagnostics information if the engineering team would like some field data.

    Bought this for the wife last week, and this is not making a good impression 5/6 months? after launch bugs like this still exist.  Sadly it's not looking like timely fixes are being made either since this thread dates back to October just scrolling down.  I'll spare the competition comparison because I'm sure it's heard ad nauseam, and quite frankly I prefer windows and want it to succeed.

    In the mean time I have switched all the power options to hibernate instead of sleep.  Obviously a much slower experience... we will see if it is any more reliable, but not responding at all twice in the 3 days she has had it is unacceptable for someone with no troubleshooting skills.

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=8832e02c-2e73-43e7-924b-5e78b6150825)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T02:40:20+00:00

    Anyone else still encounter the same issue to wake up from sleep like I do although having the latest windows update? This is so annoying when someone just leave the desk and come back later having to force shutdown everytime. Even worse when you have works thats not save....... 😩

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-26T07:32:44+00:00

    Just returned mine to Costco. I really wanted to like the SP4 but the unreliability of the unit is not worth the price. I have been a MAC guy for 8 years and this is the 2nd PC I purchased in a year and returned because of the glitchness of Windows. I will never purchase another Windows machine. Just ordered my iPad Pro 12.9" from Costco. It included Smart Keyboard and pen for $1200.

    You're very lucky that your usage is limited and acceptable to what a mobile OS can do and no mouse support. I often juggle 5-6 apps at the same time, 4 of them snapped into place. Projecting powerpoints, Bluetooth peripherals, printing, scanning, usb thumb drives (sometimes I have to put 5 in at the same time with a hub!)... Syncing via BTSync and Dropbox CONSTANTLY. Having people call me up and having to teamviewer myself into their machines while doing other things at the same time. I think the biggest issue with iPads is the lack of USB support and the mobile OS.

    If an iPad Pro worked and could be a productive machine, I would have jumped on that device months ago - sadly, I need a productive machine that is very open and versatile :(... I am really happy for you though! iPads have the best touch screens and UI for touch screens, and some very good apps! Best of luck :) I on the other hand will stick with MS for all the reasons I mentioned.

    Please MS! Fix these issues!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments