Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:55:30+00:00

    I doubt i'll be sending it back because other than that little problem quite a few seem to have, its been working great. And as you mentioned I've just made sure it doesn't go to sleep now.

    Thanks anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:49:58+00:00

    Best thing to do is return the SP4.

    Next best thing is to set it to "never" sleep, then set to hibernate at desired time, say 60 minutes. Set screen to turn off after desired time (a few minutes) to save power. Set power buttons and lid to make it hibernate.

    This way sleep never happens. Not perfect but the best of a stupid situation.

    Mike.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:49:49+00:00

    Problem occurs when undocked, using it as a laptop with keyboard plugged in

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:31:05+00:00

    Hi Josh,

    I bought my surface pro 4 about a week ago. did all the necessary updates including the 2/17/2016 but still have problems with it waking up from sleep, whether it be putting it to sleep by pressing the power button or by it going to sleep automatically after a certain time.

    As you mentioned above I checked the device manager and it seems the update has been properly installed.

    What could be the problem?

    Thanks

    I think it would really help if folks described their problem as:

    1. Always having the problem (docked, undocked with keyboard plugged or unplugged, tablet)
    2. Only having the problem as a tablet
    3. Problem undocked with out without keyboard
    4. Only problem when docked

    There may be different issues, and we are lumping them all together. This doesn't help us or MSFT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments