Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T19:54:29+00:00

    Well ... pictured.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T18:39:05+00:00

    I have a brand new SP4, double checked that I had the 2/17/2016 firmware Updated installed via history. However I had a similar issue where the SP4 that was attached to a type cover in sleep, detached the SP4 and put it in a SP3 docking station (which should be compatible).  Pressed power button, the screen flashed and then went dark.  Never to reappear again until I hit the power + volume up button for a while 20 or so seconds.  Then rebooted and Now back to a good usable state.  So there are still some issues... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T16:09:42+00:00

    Same issue on my SP4 which is on build 10586.164 and only wakes successfully 10% of the time as well.

    Looked at my update history and the firmware package isn't listed and applying the MSI patch manually hasn't resolved the issue and still doesn't get listed.

    I haven't stopped Windows Hello because I actually like that feature and since it's not a 100% workaround, I don't see the point of doing this just yet. Also not willing to factory reset the SP4 as it takes the better part of a day to reinstall all the Win32 apps I use.

    Since MS can't fix this problem, will have to hope that a new image/firmware of Redstone (when released) will have this resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T15:03:10+00:00

    Josh 

    i did everything (followed your post) but problem is still there. 

    Ansar

    Whose is Josh? Why everyone is looking for Josh? Does he work for Microsoft or he has gone from Microsoft due to he could not solve our problems ? He did not even answer our questions.![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=d8c11d4b-0cdd-4d74-9d23-4366e8d77763)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments