i7/256/dgpu here - I must also agree that the pen in this case isn't even close to the same type of issues we are all having. Your pen breaking isn't an issue affecting all surface users and creating critical errors sometimes rendering their laptops useless.
I am, however, torn between whether microsoft is trying to help or not. I walked into a microsoft store yesterday and saw the yoga 900 (which I would actually love to have instead of the surface at this point, but it is too late for me - do not ever buy from BestBuy as their 15 day return policy is ridiculous) and I started complaining about all of the issues I have been having with my surface book to a representative. He offered for me to bring in my surface book and to have them check it out. They said they'll run software checks on it and look at the damage to my fulcrum. This is a great start, but I highly doubt he will be able to fix any of my issues as they depend on microsoft updating both hardware, firmware, and drivers. My issues include:
General:
- Initially Blue Screens - No longer apparent after the November update.
- Entire Crashes of the machine (non responsive) - No longer apparent after the November update.
- Touch screen non responsive, but keyboard and trackpad work - still happening sometimes
- Pen input is always at full pressure and writing from slightly above the screen (not touching) - rare
Trackpad:
- Trackpad not working after waking the machine (keyboard still works, touchscreen works) - happens a lot
- Cursor delay directly after typing - this is killer and is a driver/algorithm issue. Probably my biggest gripe
- Trackpad not working while pressing keys - if you have every played games, this is killer
- Trackpad thumb detection not really working - try scrolling while your thumb is resting - only works half the time. The issue here is that most of the time it will detect it as another finger and moving your thumb actually will move the mouse. This will sometimes cause it to not register any clicks from it until lifting your thumb and resting it again and is probably also the root cause to the next issue below.
- Trackpad letting go while dragging using your index finger and holding the click with your thumb - this happens all the time and is abhorrent. I literally can't select text while clicking and holding with my thumb because it'll just drag everything around. Moving my thumb will actually cause it to move the cursor.
Battery life and sleep:
- I get a battery drain while in sleep mode
- Opening the surface book after sleep mode and closing it will not wake it almost ever
- Hard resets half the time after sleeping
- When I hit sleep, the fans keep running for a long time sometimes.
Hardware issues that make me want to return this device (even though I can't):
- I am unlucky enough (much like probably most of you) to have the samsung SSD in my device and after running tests and benchmarks, this thing is terrible in sequential write and 4k write. For having a machine that is supposed to be top of the line, the SSD in "almost all" surface books is just below standards. Some surface books (as rare as it gets) came with the toshiba SSD, which is top of the line and writes super fast. Unfortunately, we as customers have no control over which hardware we are getting. Microsoft
- this was a terrible decision. Why would you do this?
- My fulcrum has already chipped itself (as in damaged in a sense that pieces were scratched off of it). It has literally chipped pieces out of itself when closing it, which was nothing I did, right in between some of the accordion bends.
- My fulcrum is actually pretty wobbly. Even when fully extended the screen wobbles when I tap it. If it isn't fully extended, tapping the screen will easily cause the screen to dip backward until the next "accordion" section. It doesn't like to stay much in non fully extended positions and especially not in between some of the "accordion" sections (I don't know how else to describe it).
So don't get me wrong, this is not to say that this isn't a great machine. It promised to be, and in my opinion it still can be with all the above fixed.
Unfortunately, the SSD speeds will NOT improve with this hardware. The Samsung PM951 NAND is not advanced one bit. Search the issue yourself and run some benchmarks with AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark. This is not okay for a device that needs to take me 4 years or more into the future. I don't want an SSD that writes as slow as a hard drive in 2015 and especially not in 2020. Take a look at this other post on this website for more info: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfbook-surfstorage/extremely-slow-ssd-in-surface-book/4267a139-0603-4a91-9cec-97982d71d511?page=1
The trackpad can be fixed. The hardware is fantastic. Now the driver needs to be updated to actually implement the functionality well. Currently the trackpad (which is said to be as good as the macbook) is a deal breaker because it doesn't offer what it said to offer. I have used a macbook air for over 4 years and the trackpad in it is still better, but now not because of the hardware, but the driver. The thumb clicking to hold and drag stuff is necessary on a clickpad like this. Without proper thumb detection this becomes absolutely useless.
The sleeping issue can also be fixed. Once again the system needs to be updated and sleep needs to be properly implemented.
The fulcrum issue is something we will have to live with. Microsoft may update the design in later revisions to make it stiffer and especially to keep it from chipping itself, but that's just a hope. This isn't a deal breaker.
Your Surface Book is still under a full one-year Microsoft warranty even though you bought it at BestBuy. Do not take it back to a BestBuy for anything, ever. It makes no difference where you purchased your Surface Book, it is still a Microsoft product. Take your Surface Book to a Microsoft Store and show them your hardware problems. The Microsoft Store will do everything in their power to help you and to correct any problems you are experiencing.