Where are you Microsoft???

Anonymous
2015-11-10T15:51:26+00:00

I joined this forum right after I started to have issues with my Surface Book (i7/256/gPU) and since then I come to this forum every single day at least 5 or 7 times per day to see what other people are doing to fix all the reported issues. What I am starting to notice is the change in tone from all users, from a peer-to-peer support and collaboration space to a place where we are all expressing our frustrations and disappointment while we count our days to make a decision if we return or not the Surface Book. But I think that the WORST part of all, (at least for me) is that Microsoft is not stepping up to address any of these issues. 

We know you (Microsoft) read these comments and follow some of these threads closely. The only thing we ask you to do is to acknowledge us, jump in and speak up. Tell us that you are working on it, share ETAs... something. Most of us believed in the product and pre-ordered it the same day it was launched. The least thing you can do is to work with us so we can help you to fix the problems. What is the point of having a forum if you are not going to lead the conversation?

Surface | Surface Book | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-21T22:28:23+00:00

    Yep, just got my SP4 i7 and the screen randomly goes blank when browsing the web, requiring a hard shutdown. This has happened over 5 times today already. This is after I gave the Surface Book a try and also had to return it due to multiple major defects.

    Does Microsoft not realize they're destroying their brand by releasing untested products? I've already made the decision to never return to Microsoft as soon as Apple implements touch in OS X. I also have been sharing my terrible experience with my friends about Microsoft, warning them to stay clear of Microsoft products; I'm positive many others with a similar experience are doing the same.

    I too spoke with people in real life who have had Surfaces; most of them indeed had issues, simply returned them and went with a Mac instead. I wonder where all of these positive online reviews are coming from? Did Microsoft allocate most of their resources on fraudulent marketing instead of quality control?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-21T15:39:34+00:00

    After this latest update, my touchscreen stops responding 4 or 5 times a day. The only fix is a forced shutdown. Oh well, I'm exchanging mine today. Maybe the new one will work properly.

    Looking at this thread and elsewhere, one has to assume that the SP4 is plagued with defective hardware. Some people are thrilled with the device, while others want to love it but find it unusable. If it was merely software--and obviously there are software problems too--I would think the experience would be more uniform. Either that, or there are Microsoft employees posing as consumers. Nobody could love the SP4 I have sitting beside me, it is junk. My guess at this point is defective memory or HDD, or both.

    I truly hope that the posters claiming to love the SP4 are real people, I really do. If they are, it means my next SP4 might actually work. I really want that, it could be a truly great machine for me. (I travel extensively.)  Great sound--best I've had out of a tablet or laptop. Great screen. Very good usability as a tablet--it only needs better apps and the better scaling of desktop apps to be outstanding. Excellent usability on a desk as a laptop--doesn't really work well on a lap as a laptop but the tablet capability more than makes up for that. Just the right size. Yes, battery life could be better, but at least most long haul airline seats have power now. If only I could find an SP4 that worked.

    It's disconcerting that EVERY person with an SP4 that I've actually spoken with has had severe problems with it. Every. Single. One. Where are the users that are happy? I see them on threads and reviews, but where are the real people? Maybe I've just been unlucky in my travels. I really do hope so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-20T19:25:08+00:00

    Just to confirm... I'm also seeing the following errors you are (in case this is helpful for those working on debugging these issues):

    • "The driver WUDFPf (part of UMDF) did not load yet". This is followed by 4 warnings all related to this driver. This happens on startup every time without fail.
    • "The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced state for 71 seconds since the last report." Also, every time without fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-20T18:51:24+00:00

    Recently exchanged my i7/256/dGPU for another and I would like to share my observations with both which have had a disjoint set of issues. 

    1st SB:

    • The much reported constant graphics driver crash and recovery
    • The total lock-up requiring a hard reboot to fix (half a dozen times a day)
    • The occasional failure of the camera to start on start-up
    • A "compressed memory" process on task manager using 10-20% CPU utilization at any given time
    • Computer would not wake 4/5 times.

    2nd SB:

    • The much more seldom graphics driver crash and recovery (only in Edge)
    • Very slow boot times
    • A hang on after entering credentials and waiting to log in requiring a hard reboot
    • An intrusive buzzing noise from headphones (absent when connecting to the 3.5mm in the dock)
    • Various bluetooth problems

    I will share some technical characteristics common to both (Event Viewer).

    • "The driver WUDFPf (part of UMDF) did not load yet". This is followed by 4 warnings all related to this driver. This happens on startup every time without fail.
    • "The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced state for 71 seconds since the last report." Also, every time without fail.

    Other Information:

    • On my first SB, after the complete lock-up, the keyboard illumination was still responsive and the screen would still detach although it would take 3-4 seconds to do so.
    • On my second SB I have received a BSOD with error VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. I also got another BSOD where the crash was so bad only part of the BSOD was smeared across the screen and the only reason I could tell it was a BSOD is because the frown face was present.
    • There seems to be a recurring issue with the driver IntcDAUD.sys. I am not sure if this is related to the igfx driver that is associated with the graphics crash and recovery but it seems likely.

    I hope this can be of assistance to SOMEONE (anyone) who can do something about a fix. When this machine is working its a treat but it has just been a $2200 headache so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-20T14:30:26+00:00

     I hope you realize that a significant portion of these units are flat out *defective.*When there are people who paid nearly three thousand dollars for a laptop and end up wasting many hours and days trying to get it to work, then realize that the product is simply not ready, how else do you think people will react?

    People will be upset; clearly.  I don't disagree with the fact that a premium product should 1) work and 2) have amazing support. Though I wonder how many individuals went through the proper support channels before they started calling for people's jobs. Here's an anecdote from my personal experience: within two days of getting my Surface Book, my Pen died. It wouldn't communicate with the SB and I couldn't pair it. Rather than turning to online forums and demanding the QA team be fired, I contacted Microsoft support (online chat) and described my situation. We went through some diagnostic exercises and ultimately determined that it's a hardware issue. The very next day, I walked into a Microsoft Store and got my Pen replaced with no questions asked... it took 10 minutes (about an hour including the online chat). I left feeling confident in the support I received.

    I realize most people probably think that my issue isn't comparable; a Pen isn't a critical accessory. And I agree; it isn't critical. But I think it speaks to Microsoft's willingness to work with you provided you are level-headed about it. If I ran into the store and started flipping over tables and demanding that everyone be fired until I get my way, that likely won't go over well. The mob/pitchfork mentality really rubs me the wrong way.

    Maybe you are okay with Microsoft treating you as a beta tester after you pay a premium for your device, but from an objective standpoint, that is simply unacceptable.

    I will admit that I have a high tolerance for this type of thing. I'm an enthusiast; I like having new things that are on the bleeding edge. Yes, I paid a hefty premium to have this device.. I could have just as easily got a Dell for $1000 less.. but that doesn't interest me. I wanted the top-of-the-line hardware from the people who make the operating system. Frankly, I believe I got that; I'm very happy with the hardware.

    I compare buying the Surface Book to buying a Tesla Model S. It's new, it's expensive, and it's on the bleeding edge of what can be done technologically. The Model S has won tons of awards, but what a lot of people don't realize is that they're constantly pushing out firmware updates (over the air) to their cars. That seems a lot more risky when you're talking about a machine that is literally responsible for someone's safety. If you don't like the risk/reward, there are plenty of proven car companies out there. For me, I'll opt for the Tesla and be prepared to take it into the shop every so often.

    Microsoft more or less has a monopoly on this market so they believe they can get away with unacceptable business practices, and they aregetting away with it because people like you are simply just taking it without questioning.

    I'm sure I'm coming off as an apologist, but I don't consider it a matter of me "questioning" anything. Full disclosure: aside from the Pen issue I described, there have been very few things with my SB that I've had to "tolerate." I'm generally a content (if not delighted) customer. I recognize that people are having issues.. and those issues absolutely need to be resolved, but I stand by my sentiment that if you try to work with people (e.g. speak to a customer support rep and understand that they're trying to help you), you'll likely have a more effective/productive experience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments