Surface Pro 3 Throttling Solution?

Anonymous
2014-07-06T03:09:34+00:00

Hi! I received my surface pro 3 about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience has been great while surfing the internet, personalizing it to my needs, watching videos, and writing with the stylus.

 I have seen how the surface one and surface pro 2 can handle games on the lowest settings and was very impressed and encouraged to buy the SP3 for light gaming when I have free time and am not using it for work.  However, I am a little disappointed with how the performance on the SP3 drastically drops to less than 1Ghz about 3-5 minutes after I start playing any game or even a less intensive game like Dota 2, Portal, or the newer version of GTA San Andreas (a 2005 GAME) which I bought this week from the Windows Store.  Most of the games I have tried start at 30-60 frames per second but as the heat starts building up, the frame rates drop to 10-15 frames due to throttling... This DOES NOT happen with the surface pro or pro 2 and most people play high end games at 30 frames per second on low settings for long periods even with throttling. I am not able to do that on my surface pro 3... Why? Why is there so much "power" that you can only use for a short time?... Did I just spend $1400 for much less performance than a Surface pro 2?...

I hope that this can be fixed in some way very soon. I really love the surface pro 3 and don't want to return it. But when I play a 2005 game like GTA San Andreas which was ported for smartphones and tablets and the frames drop below 25 after a while... it really gets me thinking...

Surface | Surface Pro | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-26T01:35:28+00:00

    I will be ordering the i3 and the keyboard/cover for it right after the first of August.  That particular model, in my opinion, will probably not sell as fast as the others and should have no problem on a backorder.  Since it is the lowest performer of the bunch, there should be no 'clocking' of it.

    But, I will say this; if I have even one problem from that tablet, it will be wiped out and will become a Linux machine!

    I already put up with about 5 months of down time with the RT because of the WiFi (which works perfect now) and I will not tolerate that again.

    The more I see of issues with the tablets and also comparing those issues with laptops and desktops, I do believe that the whole problem is not the drivers but the operating system itself.  Memory leaks could be the cause of these issues interfering with the drivers.

    That is a guess and no proof of it.  But I have seen a few similar issues when working on laptops and a few desktops that people brought to be worked on.

    I think the operating system itself is the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-26T00:52:00+00:00

    If they do it with the i7, that will be a disaster.  In fact, people will return their machines if the tablets are 'clocked down'.

    To me the i7 always has been a big question mark.  That's why I bought the i5.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T22:10:12+00:00

    If they do it with the i7, that will be a disaster.  In fact, people will return their machines if the tablets are 'clocked down'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T20:23:15+00:00

    If you are going to do 3D modeling, get the i7.  The i5 is real good but can 'choke' even with TurboBoost.

    Unfortunately, thats the concern.  If the i7 throttles as badly as the i5 it will be just as slow.

    I hope that MS reads your post. It's very informative.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T19:43:41+00:00

    If you are going to do 3D modeling, get the i7.  The i5 is real good but can 'choke' even with TurboBoost.

    Unfortunately, thats the concern.  If the i7 throttles as badly as the i5 it will be just as slow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments