Surface Pro 3 Throttling Solution?

Anonymous
2014-07-06T03:09:34+00:00

Hi! I received my surface pro 3 about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience has been great while surfing the internet, personalizing it to my needs, watching videos, and writing with the stylus.

 I have seen how the surface one and surface pro 2 can handle games on the lowest settings and was very impressed and encouraged to buy the SP3 for light gaming when I have free time and am not using it for work.  However, I am a little disappointed with how the performance on the SP3 drastically drops to less than 1Ghz about 3-5 minutes after I start playing any game or even a less intensive game like Dota 2, Portal, or the newer version of GTA San Andreas (a 2005 GAME) which I bought this week from the Windows Store.  Most of the games I have tried start at 30-60 frames per second but as the heat starts building up, the frame rates drop to 10-15 frames due to throttling... This DOES NOT happen with the surface pro or pro 2 and most people play high end games at 30 frames per second on low settings for long periods even with throttling. I am not able to do that on my surface pro 3... Why? Why is there so much "power" that you can only use for a short time?... Did I just spend $1400 for much less performance than a Surface pro 2?...

I hope that this can be fixed in some way very soon. I really love the surface pro 3 and don't want to return it. But when I play a 2005 game like GTA San Andreas which was ported for smartphones and tablets and the frames drop below 25 after a while... it really gets me thinking...

Surface | Surface Pro | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-05T18:19:48+00:00

    Another update after a few workdays with my i7 SP3.

    I am now 99% sure that the thermal throttling has nothing to do with the hardware or the airflow and is all in the drivers with the graphics chip. Today I compressed a 30GB virtual machine using 7zip and using all 4 logical cores. It took over an hour with the processor pegged between 93 and 100% load. Throughout the whole hour, not once did the surface drop below 2.1GHz, mostly sitting around 2.2GHz at 80 degrees Celsius. The surface pro 3 is perfectly capable of maintaining high speeds and acceptable temperatures for long periods of time, I have only observed throttling when something graphical (aka a video game) is also in play, using the Intel graphics 5000 as well. I will try to run some sort of graphical stress test to confirm this, but from a compression stress test, purely processor, the surface performs perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-04T12:12:41+00:00

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 11:57:19 +0000, Cothek wrote:

    |The August update may be tomorrow

    It's the SEcoND Tuesday of each month... 8/12 is the next one.

    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Barb

    Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

    My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/

    Barb's Connected World Blog Reader Windows 8 App -

    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/barbs-connected-world-blog/02f35769-52bf-461c-b1d5-06e54a58d298

    Please mark as answered if this answers your question

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-04T11:57:19+00:00

    The August update may be tomorrow but it would still be great to hear something from MS on this. Without a statement I fear they may lose quite a few customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-04T04:16:12+00:00

    Well, for speed, 800MHz definitely will not be enough for most games on the market now.

    I would say to wait for the August Update to see what happens there.

    For testing, those are prototypes that are built but most likely, they may have only run some games for a few minutes to see if they would do it and what performance.  That may be where they could have encountered a problem and the manufacturing cycle had already begun.

    I should be getting the i3 model around mid week and am going to install Age of Empires: Asian Dynasty onto it.  If there is anything that can rip a machine apart for performance (a low end machine at that), that is the game to do it with.

    We shall see.  If the August Update doesn't fix anything for the i5/i7 performance, I think Microsoft needs to remove the "gaming" capabilities of the tablets from advertisements.  This could actually backfire big time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-04T02:43:33+00:00

    My final conclusion is that unless the game can run at 800MHz, the SP3 can't run it. I logged temperature, CPU and GPU Frequency and usage percentage with some pretty ugly results during a game of StarCraft II (a very very well optimized game). It took about a minute and a half to steadily drop from the smooth 50FPS the game started at (which the hardware, especially my i7 should be able to maintain easily) to 30FPS. Immediately after it started dipping under 30fps to the high 20s, then another 2 and a half minutes after that to dip below 20FPS. About 5 minutes into playing the game, my FPS stabilized around 13, completely unplayable. It took the processor about 30 seconds to drop from 1.7GHz (the rated clock speed of the i7 processor, it should be able to run at that indefinitely) for the CPU to hit around 77 degrees Celsius and the processor being cut to 800 MHz for the first time, and then another 30 seconds until the processor stabilized at 800MHz almost solidly throughout the rest of the game, never returning to those high clocks even after the temperature stabilized at 60 degrees.

    Although it may be understandable that airflow is not as good in the SP3 as with the SP2, I agree that the 60 degrees temperature throttle is much to conservative, especially with my old SP2 happily sitting in the low 80s indefinitely and the TJMax of the processor being all the way at 100 degrees C. I have no idea how microsoft is advertising that League of Legends is a featured game on the SP3, given that it does not run in a playable fashion even with the resolution cut down to 1440 x 1050. My only idea for how this happened is that the testing/hardware team has no communication with the advertising team, as anyone who tries to run a game on the SP3 notices this immediately.

    I'm bashing the SP3 here not because I hate it, but because I love it and this is a black eye I would love to see fixed, although the most I dare hope for is a slight improvement (70 degrees Microsoft? Please?). For everything else I've use my i7 SP3 for it has run like a dream, but games just don't run at all which really hurts when its a $1600+ machine.

    Here is the log file from my test on OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1uduKv6

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments