not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-06T00:12:28+00:00

    We're looking into some additional information that could shed light on this issue.

    We believe it's not so much of a device slot limit, but rather a USB endpoint limit. An individual USB device can have up to a maximum 32 endpoints (16 in and 16 out). Some devices will have more or less endpoints than others.

    We've been able to connect more USB devices with less endpoints than devices that have more endpoints.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-06T00:50:49+00:00

    I personally believe this issue is with the docking station. I'm only getting it when I'm docked and it's typically when my Plantronics device is activated (on a Lync call) that I get the error message. Once it happens I need to reboot otherwise I lose all audio and video playback capabilities on my device. I think I need to turn this puppy in and get a new SP3i7... only sad part about it is that the unit I'm using is already a refurb!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-06T00:56:58+00:00

    I personally believe this issue is with the docking station. I'm only getting it when I'm docked and it's typically when my Plantronics device is activated (on a Lync call) that I get the error message. Once it happens I need to reboot otherwise I lose all audio and video playback capabilities on my device. I think I need to turn this puppy in and get a new SP3i7... only sad part about it is that the unit I'm using is already a refurb!

    These issues are present on the Surface Pro 3 as well. It's not an issue with hubs, docks, etc. It's a core issue with the Intel USB 3.0 XHCI controller.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-07T00:42:18+00:00

    I personally believe this issue is with the docking station. I'm only getting it when I'm docked and it's typically when my Plantronics device is activated (on a Lync call) that I get the error message. Once it happens I need to reboot otherwise I lose all audio and video playback capabilities on my device. I think I need to turn this puppy in and get a new SP3i7... only sad part about it is that the unit I'm using is already a refurb!

    These issues are present on the Surface Pro 3 as well. It's not an issue with hubs, docks, etc. It's a core issue with the Intel USB 3.0 XHCI controller.

    So honestly Joshua, when the h&^* is Microsoft going to fix this error or push out a patch? its so frustrating to have all my devices I cant use together.

    I think if Microsoft acknowledge the issue, at least there would be some badly needed light for the consumer who is trying this and that, hubs, powered and non powered etc. The cost is rising for us all.

    V/R,

    Gary Girouard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments