not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T18:27:34+00:00

    To add: in the peripheral limit of 14... at least in my count, 5 are internal (front cam, back cam, bluetooth, touch screen and sensor - as they are shown on different internal hub) and hence only 9 is limit for external (either USB2 or USB3 type)... not counting hubs here.

    This is really frustrating! Any suggestions to increase external peripherals limit?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T18:36:07+00:00

    This is really frustrating! Any suggestions to increase external peripherals limit?

    Using USB Device Tree Viewer after your Surface boots into Windows, right click on any unnecessary internal USB device and select "safely remove" to free up more USB resources for additional external devices.

    When I'm docked at work, I disable (safely remove) both webcams, HID touch and pen sensors, and WiFi/Bluetooth. I can then plug in more devices.

    If anyone is good at programming/scripting, if this process could be automated at boot, or by clicking on a shortcut, this could be made to be much less of a hassle.

    For now though, really the only solution at this time is to be conservative about what devices you use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T18:58:16+00:00

    Joshua, thx for prompt response.

    In other works, are you confirming that changing the external hubs (based on types - USB3 or USB2, or number of hubs itself) and whatever number of different device slots the hubs use really doesn't matter.... essentially my external peripherals limit (useful things that I plug) will still remain the same? Please confirm.

    If yes, then I'll probably return the USB2-HUB-AG7.. .and just continue to use USB2-HUB10S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T22:41:31+00:00

    Joshua, thx for prompt response.

    In other works, are you confirming that changing the external hubs (based on types - USB3 or USB2, or number of hubs itself) and whatever number of different device slots the hubs use really doesn't matter.... essentially my external peripherals limit (useful things that I plug) will still remain the same? Please confirm.

    If yes, then I'll probably return the USB2-HUB-AG7.. .and just continue to use USB2-HUB10S.

    We're still unclear as we've had mixed results in this area.

    On my workstation here at Plugable (Surface Pro 2), I was able to use additional devices when I moved to our 7-port USB3-HUB7BC from the 10-port USB3-HUB10C2 that I had been using.

    Unfortunately this would seem to conflict with your testing results where it made no difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments