not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-09T03:53:56+00:00

    I'm also having this same problem with my SP3 attached to the SP3 Dock when I plug in a Native Instruments Audio 2 MK2 sound card. "Not enough USB controller resources".

    Wondering if there is a fix yet or some sort of work around?

    Do you get the error when you first plug in the device, or when you try to play audio?

    There aren't any sure fire workarounds, but they generally involve disconnecting or disabling any USB devices that you don't absolutely need.  This includes internal devices such as the front and rear camera.

    There are some kernel debugger outputs that can be useful for troubleshooting where the USB device and pipe resources are being allocated.  If you are interested I can try to post instructions.   See the video near the bottom of this blog from the USB Core Team.

    Of particular interest are !usb_tree for showing devices and !ucx_controller_list for showing pipes/endpoints.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-09T20:29:38+00:00

    I'm not sure powered hubs are the answer either.  My current configuration:

    Surface Pro 3

       ASUS Ultrathin mouse Bluetooth

    Surface Pro 3 Dock

      mini DisplayLink to Apple Cinema monitor

      USB 2.0 to Apple Keyboard

         Logitech mouse receiver attached to USB port on Apple Keyboard

         Wacom intous 5 receiver attached to USB port on Apple Keyboard

      USB 3.0 to a Plugable 3.0 10 port Hub [powered hub]

         Plugable Dual Head to Sony SDM-HS95 monitor

         Drobo3-A Disk Array

         Lite-On DVDRW

         Saitechi USB 3.0 4 port hub [unpowered]

             hp990 printer

             canon pro9000mkii printer

    The next USB device will cause the dreaded 'Not enough USB controller resources'

    So the method of adding any other USB devices means disconnecting one of the above.

    Other than the Surface Pro 3 native devices, my count seems to be twelve, including the

    Bluetooth mouse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-09T22:38:55+00:00

    The next USB device will cause the dreaded 'Not enough USB controller resources'

    So the method of adding any other USB devices means disconnecting one of the above.

    Other than the Surface Pro 3 native devices, my count seems to be twelve, including the

    Bluetooth mouse.

    One way to save on device slots is to minimize the number of USB3 hubs.   USB3 hubs actually consume two device slots each because they have a parallel USB2 hub built in.  

    Also, that 10-port hub is almost certainly (3) 4-port hubs daisy chained internally.  This means the USB3 10-port hub alone is consuming (6) device slots.

    If you have a lot of USB2 or USB1 devices, use a good USB2 hub instead.  I've been using the 7-port Plugable USB2-HUB-AG7, because it only consumes one device slot.  It's hit or miss, but other 7-port hubs are actually (2) 4-port hubs internally, which consumes two device slots.

    You might try using the USB3 ports on the Surface dock and the dual head (UD-3900?) and ditching the 10-port and 4-port USB3 hubs altogether.  If you still need more ports, add a 7-port USB2 hub and connect low speed devices there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-31T15:38:14+00:00

    Hello,

    I'm also encountering this same issue. My Surface 3 is up to date and the Docking station was new.

    I use a plantronics Headset USB headset and when I use it for Lync conferencing I also get the resource missing message.

    I do not get it when I use the USB connector on the Surface itself, only while connected to the docking station.

    I did of course the default things like Dock/undock, reboot, Windows update and unplug the power of the docking station.

    So far with no success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments